LegacyGT.com

Never been pulled over, never had an accident ever, now this :(

Whenever I ride over a surface like that, I try to use as few steering and throttle inputs as possible.

Exactly. Except when it's on a curve that gets tricky because do you try to continue to turn as you pass over the diamond plate (and have your rear end slide out a small but usually controllable amount) or do you go straight over it and resume turning after that? Generally the smoothest path is to continue turning as you go over it, trying to straighten for the diamond plate and then turn more to get back on the curve of the road risks unsettling the car even more generally.

That probably would have been even worse given the conditions, but I'm not sure what to say. The direction I came at the diamond plate and the speed and the conditions all added up to doh. I had judged my speed based on the conditions on other roads nearby and took extra care by going slower because of the diamond plate. It didn't work this one time :icon_evil perhaps the conditions on that road didn't match the one I had just turned off of, I don't know, and there was no way to know until it was too late. I keep trying to replay it in my head but most of it has been forced in to gobblydegook by my desire to not remember what happened.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well based on everyones suggestion on here, at home and elsewhere I have got the contact information for the sheriffs department for both relevant towns, DOT and the Railroad company.

I haven't quite got a clue where to go from there, first I plan to get the accident statistics.

You would probably save a lot of time if you just called a lawyer and asked if you had any type of a case. These types of cases usually don't get sorted out very fast. You will likely be stuck going through your insurance to fix the car and all of that and then a couple years from now when the lawsuit is over then you can be reimbursed for your expenses by the guilty party (if you win).

The accident statistics would be interesting. However, if 5000 cars drive across the diamond plate without incident and one person crashes, then that will probably kill your case. Hopefully the statistics aren't that bad and it will show that it is a dangerous situation and under the right set of conditions it can be totally responsible for accidents like yours. That will be the key... You will need to prove that the conditions combined with their choice to do work at that particular time of the year created the accident and they are responsible. I would really suggest looking for a personal injury attorney to research this for you. Most cases settle out of court and it is very likely if guilt can be found then they will just quietly pay you and hope you go away.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yeah I don't really want to get involved in a court case to be honest, I don't know if it's worth it. I've got to do some more thinking and talking to people who know better than I what to do about this.

And I got the estimated estimate today, $6600. Nothing to be repaired, everything is being replaced. All new subaru except for 3rd party radiator and condensor.

Not sure if that includes new foglights.

3rd party radiator and condensor, WHY?? Demand OEM!!!!
Yeah, yeah. I'm worn out, I'll start that fight later.

Cause if you get problems down the road, Subaru may refuse to fix since they are not OEM parts.

What would subaru fix anyway? The freakin car was crashed. Anything not involved is still ok warranty wise, but the nose of the car is all getting replaced. The only thing left is the bumper beam.

Or are you saying Subaru could blame some random engine problem on a 3rd party radiator or somesuch nonsense.

ok I just spoke to the shop again (I had renewed vigor).

They will see if state farm will allow Subaru radiator and condensor. The reason he said he generally goes with 3rd party on those is 3rd party has a lifetime warranty, the Subaru replacements are 1 year. He agreed though that since the car has 5yr/60k on it there's potential that having the Subaru parts would be better.

Otherwise the difference might be in me paying $40 extra for a Subaru part, and then I'd have to decide if that's worth it.

And they're also going to get a set of Nokian WRs in for me when the time comes. No rush since the car won't be running for a while.

Yeah I don't really want to get involved in a court case to be honest, I don't know if it's worth it. I've got to do some more thinking and talking to people who know better than I what to do about this.

I didn't suggest this to get out of hand and stick it to the city. Ultimately, you just want them to fix it so it doesn't bite you (or others) again. If they offer to cover you for current damages, that's just a bonus. A phone call to city hall should suffice. Lawyers just mean someone needs to make a buck and the whole thing gets messy for everyone.

I didn't suggest this to get out of hand and stick it to the city. Ultimately, you just want them to fix it so it doesn't bite you (or others) again. If they offer to cover you for current damages, that's just a bonus. A phone call to city hall should suffice. Lawyers just mean someone needs to make a buck and the whole thing gets messy for everyone.
Exactly, that's all my intention was. Although it has also been suggested that I get the stats and write a letter to the editor and forward it to my insurance agent. To start I'm going to call both city halls and get it out there that something should be done.

Mm, I forgot but that battery thread reminded me. This might be as good a time as any to get a beefier more willing battery for those winter starts.

Dude... just an idea, but why not sell the wheels and tires, and get some new rims?

Sell each rim with a tire on it individually as a full size spare (or single replacement setup for those who need a single rim and tire, kinda like you did.), then use the cash to offset the cost of new rims and tires that you like.

I am not sure that you'll be able to sell three bare, used RE92s... But I hope so, if that is the way you want to go.

Glad to hear the car is going to be ready in the near future.

Sorry to hear about this accident- operative word is accident. After an accident, it's all too easy to understand how it could have been prevented- just like a Monday morning quarterback.

Experienced people tend to make less mistakes and have less accidents than non-experienced. How did they get experienced? By making mistakes and having accidents.

Good luck with that car; I might be interested in buying one of your RE-92 rims if you decide to sell.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the car's back and running and looking as good as new except for a noise from the front left wheel/tire. It's a constant pitch (either that or it doesn't change much) hum that gets louder as I reach roughly 60mph after which it quiets off again.

I got new shoes for the car, Nokian WRs on all corners. I guess I'll have them look at it but after everything had been gone over they hadn't seen anything and it might just be the tire :confused: This happened on my previous car with a set of tires, it died down eventually although I did have that tire rotated to the back so I wouldn't hear it as much :lol:

It was louder on the first day I got it so I'm not sure. Gonna follow up on it tomorrow when I stop by again for some paperwork. I'm just concerned it might be bearings, that wheel didn't hit as far as I know so it shouldn't be out of whack.

Other than that, I got lucky in that the damage wasn't to the frame or engine/transmission. They did a fantastic job on the paint and it's running like nothing happened.

Sorry to hear about that. I lost control on I-490 about 2 years ago (it was about 0F out and the road was complete black ice). This was in my truck. Hit the guard rail, and it sucked bad. Cops never showed up so I left and filled out an accident report myself.

Really sorry to hear. The bad weather was a major decision to move from Rochester.

Archived