LegacyGT.com

Never been pulled over, never had an accident ever, now this :(

I didn't like the way you said it, plain and simple. I agree, it sucks because we all pay whether someone does something stupid and doriftos in to a tree showing off to friends, or whether it was a freak accident or whatever.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man... will you guys stop wrecking your GTs? That is the kind of stuff that makes everybody's insurance rates go up.

There is a 17-year-old in another thread trying to get his 6k mile LGT totaled after a minor pole incident. LOL

To the OP, sorry about your accident. Shit happens. That's why insurance exists. I hope it all works out.

To those chiming in saying you hope insurance buys him a new car, I hope YOUR rates go up to cover it, and not mine.

........ Before seeing the car I was speaking to a friend and he knows other people who have had accidents in the same spot from similar diamond-plate related mishaps.............

In the city where I lived previously, the street department painted a very wide yellow stripe at a crosswalk. That band of paint was very slippery in the rain. I actuallly slid into the intersection on one rainy day, under braking. Luckily for me, there was no cross traffic.

Months later, the city removed the stripe by sandblasting, after a fatal accident.

Maybe you should talk to your city about improving traction on the diamondplate?

To those chiming in saying you hope insurance buys him a new car, I hope YOUR rates go up to cover it, and not mine.
:lol: A new car might be nice, but I'd rather think the damage isn't that severe and that it can be fixed. Plus I like having the gauge dimming button by the MPG computer, the 06 doesn't have that.

I am curious what the difference would have been between hitting the guard rail where it was, or if the guardrail were at bumper height.

Maybe you should talk to your city about improving traction on the diamondplate?

I'm considering that. Maybe they could spray something on it that would improve traction... since I'm not the only one who's had a spill there. The road is 4 lanes wide there and if you're going the direction I was going the turn is a bit tighter (right turn, I was on the right side of the road). Cars in the two lanes slither all about on the diamondplate and I've seen some come pretty close to bumping in to each other side-by-side.

Chill folks. It ain't gonna get totalled. I'm guessing $5000 max damage.
Probably around there, I should know tomorrow.

...hmmm, maybe the city should pay for the damages. Isn't it pretty negligent to put diamond plate or anything that slippery on a corner with no clear run-out? Maybe you could videotape others losing control there and make a case for your costs to be covered. If nothing else, get the city to do something about it.

Regardless, good luck and keep a good perspective. The holidays are coming, so be happy. :)

Has anyone with AP tried driving their car in Valet mode during winter...would that be harmful to the engine to drive it all winter long with turbo turned off (so to speak)...less power may help the car not be so 'rear-end happy' and will slow us down forcefully

...hmmm, maybe the city should pay for the damages. Isn't it pretty negligent to put diamond plate or anything that slippery on a corner with no clear run-out? Maybe you could videotape others losing control there and make a case for your costs to be covered. If nothing else, get the city to do something about it.

I don't know what my chances with that would be. It's not like I didn't know that was a bad spot. I've taken it so many times before but this time I just hit the wrong combination of variables.

It [going after the city] could be done I suppose, it's definitely stupid to have diamond plate anywhere on the road IMO. In particular right near a busy intersection where traffic does at least 35 (the speed limit) but usually quite a bit more and often has to stop or change lanes suddenly. All the other at grade train crossings around here have pavement right up to the tracks, not diamond plate.

That road during the day is kept clean because of enough traffic that people routinely do 35 (speed limit) there even with snow on the ground. On that night I had no intentions of going that quickly though.

Well now I've been told several times (even by my wise old faddah) I should look in to wtf the city or county was thinking about with the diamond plate. I hadn't put much thought in to it but it was suggested I tell the insurance co to look and see how many similar incidents have happened around that spot due to the diamond plate.

I'm torn on what is actually the best thing to do. Mentioning it to the insurance can't hurt, going any further than that is what I can't decide on. What they're implying is that if there's a history of problems there, the insurance company might pursue the city. Aggh.

Feels too much like the all too popular modern day point the finger syndrome where nobody is personally responsible.

Well now I've been told several times (even by my wise old faddah) I should look in to wtf the city or county was thinking about with the diamond plate. I hadn't put much thought in to it but it was suggested I tell the insurance co to look and see how many similar incidents have happened around that spot due to the diamond plate.

I'm torn on what is actually the best thing to do. Mentioning it to the insurance can't hurt, going any further than that is what I can't decide on. What they're implying is that if there's a history of problems there, the insurance company might pursue the city. Aggh.

Feels too much like the all too popular modern day point the finger syndrome where nobody is personally responsible.

I don't think you're overreaching here. It's the city's or whichever authority's responsbility to maintain the roads, including improving/correcting bad designs.

I keed I keeed

I know exactly what tracks you're referring to. I went to RIT, and I even slid on those in my old fwd toyota tercel.

Yeah, it seems there is agreement that those tracks are unnecessarily dangerous. I've heard that from a lot of other RIT folk. I still feel like I could say I should have known better and not gone that route but I guess that's not the point if a part of road could have been made safer without much trouble.

I don't think it would hurt at all to at least inform the city of what happened to you, and see what they're willing to do about it. They may offer to cover your damages, they may not. But if they don't, you're no worse off than now. If they do anything, you've helped yourself and others in the future.

Your insurance company's already involved, so having their advice wouldn't hurt either.

The point is, you're not going in to "get" the city or to pass the blame. If you don't do this, someone else is gonna wreck there.

It's win-win. :)

The point is, you're not going in to "get" the city or to pass the blame. If you don't do this, someone else is gonna wreck there.

It's win-win. :)

Yep, at the very worst nothing comes of it. At the very best the City buys me a new car. :lol:

Or maybe the insurance company might go easy on me.

I would just like to see that spot be safer for myself and others in the future.

and here's the road FYI

http://www.rit.edu/~cgs2794/files/pub/road.jpg

Speaking of those tracks, they were a bit wet today and I saw the back of a dumptruck slide several inches to the right as it passed over them. :icon_surp

(slide was to the right because I was going the opposite direction I was going during the accident)

Actually if I remember they said they should be able to go over the estimate with me today, but they weren't "supposed to" so I might have just been expecting/anticipating it. Either way I'll call tomorrow if I don't hear, the shop is supposed to be good and as fast as is reasonably possible but I'm just anxious to know things are moving along.

Yeah, that diamondplate is nasty stuff -- particularly when wet.

I ride a motorcycle and one of the things I learned early on is that metal grates, metal plates, diamondplate -- basically anything that isn't asphalt or concrete and is shiny -- can be very slick. Whenever I ride over a surface like that, I try to use as few steering and throttle inputs as possible. I'm extra aware of these things because of my bike-riding experience.

Sorry about your accident! Nasty stuff....

Archived