LegacyGT.com

FS - PA: Legacy 05 GT Ltd Wagon

My 05 LegacyGT Limited Wagon (manual) suffered a water pump failure which caused timing belt to slip off and we are 3 teeth off in timing. Dealer is telling me that I need 2K (to install timing belt+pump+parts) and do the compression. If that shows that valves are bent we are looking at 5K (per their estimate). Car has around 154K miles on it - turbo and flywheel replaced about 30K ago (Subaru OEM).

Make me an offer for whole car. I'm located in Amish Land of PA.

Cheers,

Sergej

I will get some pics once I visit the car at the dealership sometime today/tomorrow.

Here is VIN: 4S3BP676656317514

What other details should I add? What else to "improve" the post.

What should timing belt/water pump/compression work cost? I'm not excited about getting rid of it.

I will get some pics once I visit the car at the dealership sometime today/tomorrow.

What should timing belt/water pump/compression work cost? I'm not excited about getting rid of it.

Timing belt and water pump are regular service items so with parts and labor it used to be between $1K and $1.5K - others please correct me if I am too off, I only paid for this once many years ago.

Compression should another 2-3 hours worth of labor, so add another $400 - $500 even for very hungry dealer.

Btw technically they do not need water pump to be tight to run compression test - they will have the spark plugs out anyway and run compression test by cranking the engine with the starter. it will be messy but they can drain the coolant first and then do it. They just need oil in the engine.

I can't imagine paying for new timing belt and water pump service first and THEN doing the compression test.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Timing belt and water pump are regular service items so with parts and labor it used to be between $1K and $1.5K - others please correct me if I am too off, I only paid for this once many years ago.

Compression should another 2-3 hours worth of labor, so add another $400 - $500 even for very hungry dealer.

Btw technically they do not need water pump to be tight to run compression test - they will have the spark plugs out anyway and run compression test by cranking the engine with the starter. it will be messy but they can drain the coolant first and then do it. They just need oil in the engine.

I can't imagine paying for new timing belt and water pump service first and THEN doing the compression test.

Seems like a reasonable estimate... IF - valves didn't crash. If it was really only a couple teeth might be just fine. I've always done my own pump/timing. Can be done for ~$400.

Yea, would have to be rather masochistic to get excited about something like this. Just this summer I've spent almost what my vehicle is worth just doing minor upgrades and refreshes. It's definitely a decision made out love for the car rather than any sort of reasonable monetary calculation. If you love your car enough you can justify all sorts of stupidity.

ME - I'm sort of hoping my engine blows so I can go forged bottom end and some stupid 400HP build:icon_twis. Five speed is already starting to make some not good noise. 6speed swap here I come! :)

Edited by bubbagump

• 1 month later...