LegacyGT.com

(TMIC seperating) Bulletproof Mod DIY?

So, my stock TMIC is sepreating closest to the turbo side of things. I assume I can't just push the tabs in and it'll be ok? If that's the case, and I have to get a new TMIC, I'd like to do the bulletproof mod, but I can't find any vendors.

Does anyone have a DIY on what I'd need specifically to do it? Or one for sale?

I've got a stage 2, with a Perrin BOV. I'm sure someone will mention a different aftermarket TMIC, but I've read the stock is fine, and sometimes better than some of the aftermarkets. Certainly is a lot cheaper. But, I guess any opinions at this point can't hurt.

Thanks!

I seem to recall there is a walk through in those forums below.

Have you asked google How To ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bulletproof-tmic-mod-lgt-08-wrx-158870.html

That may be what AI was thinking of... I think from the picture, it would be easy to reverse engineer it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I saw the kits for sale on eBay not too long ago. Mine was leaking like crazy and I bent the tabs and it sealed so I was going to do one of the kits but instead opted for a full aluminum intercooler. A quick search on eBay didn’t bring anything up though.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bulletproof-tmic-mod-lgt-08-wrx-158870.html

That may be what AI was thinking of... I think from the picture, it would be easy to reverse engineer it.

Very last pane on this thread has two great posts. The originator, Seeeeeya, will still send out the plans to anyone who asks. (Post #625) Assuming that sourcing material and doing the minor fabrication is up to you now.

And another member, Outback2.5XT-05, has taken up the selling of the kits see post 627. He was the one selling on eBay for a while, but decided to open their own storefront. On a whim I bought the kit from the site yesterday figuring I’d see it in a couple weeks or so. Nope! Arrived on my porch this morning. Helps that it shipped from a town 1.5 hours away.

So I can testify that http://www.bulletproofme.net is legit.

Try and crimp the tabs down and do a boost leak test. Spray some soapy water on the end caps and if it’s leaking after you crimp it then replace it. Mine was leaking so bad you could hear it and with soapy water it bubbled like crazy. Some CAREFUL crimping with vice grips and not a bubble with 14psi. You will know real quick wether you should replace it after that