LegacyGT.com

Used B Spec with sti springs or New KYB and H&R springs

So it was time to do struts and shocks long before I got this car.....

How badly do the OEM springs wear, will I be ok with just new struts and mounts .

Side note to that is I need to do springs also has your guys luck been with used jdm spec B's and the pink sti springs ?

My other option is new kybs and h&r springs the cost are about the same.

I'm will to spend 800 max on the job ....suggestions ?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Check out the stickies in the suspension forum. The car gains a ton of performance when upgrading struts and springs imo, also adding a better rear sway bar.

https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/suspension-brakes-20.html

I went with Koni shocks and H&R springs. You can reuse your existing shocks with Koni inserts in them. They're pretty comfy and definitely handle much better. I did research for months about what I wanted before my struts started all leaking after a little too much adventuring with myself and four others in the car going over the most awful roads in Portland... alas, Konis were readily available and I was too wishy-washy on putting KW coilovers on my car, so those plus the springs I went. Would you like pictures of my car on the new springs to get an idea of what would look good on your car?

I'm still running the Koni Sport Yellows and Epic springs on my wagon that were installed Jan 15 2013 at 166,580 miles.

The shocks are still working great. The wagon still has stock sway bars and corners fairly flat thanks to the Koni's.

The car does handle better then the Spec B.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

To answer the question of how do OEM springs wear - I broke a front spring at about 170,000 km. It was not excessively rusty, still had 95% of the original paint. I would replace the springs, if I were you, with either OEM or aftermarket.

To answer the question of how do OEM springs wear - I broke a front spring at about 170,000 km. It was not excessively rusty, still had 95% of the original paint. I would replace the springs, if I were you, with either OEM or aftermarket.
Where do I get OEM springs ? I ended up just doing kyb and the original springs.

Really liking it compared to blown struts lol

Now that I have original struts out think I will start collecting parts for the future koni converversion, thinking white line top mounts and original springs, wanted to keep the stuck height for back county and Forrest service roads

I went with Koni shocks and H&R springs. You can reuse your existing shocks with Koni inserts in them. They're pretty comfy and definitely handle much better. I did research for months about what I wanted before my struts started all leaking after a little too much adventuring with myself and four others in the car going over the most awful roads in Portland... alas, Konis were readily available and I was too wishy-washy on putting KW coilovers on my car, so those plus the springs I went. Would you like pictures of my car on the new springs to get an idea of what would look good on your car?
Ya wondering how low it will sit, I threw on some old one inch H&R spacers I had it helps with the awfully wheel gap

Looking at Koni with H&R's but thinking those springs might be a little low for these Ct potholes. Having a hard time finding Eibach or Epic springs, are they out of production?

Edit: Looks like they are discontinued.

Edited by ohno06gt

Looking at Koni with H&R's but thinking those springs might be a little low for these Ct potholes. Having a hard time finding Eibach or Epic springs, are they out of production?

Edit: Looks like they are discontinued.

Run the Swift Sport springs and call it a day. Drives like oem on the highway, and sporty when driven aggressively.

I think you should probably just switch to Bilstein B6/B8's if you are looking to swap shocks with lowering springs if your's is a Spec B.

Edited by Unko

Run the Swift Sport springs and call it a day. Drives like oem on the highway, and sporty when driven aggressively.

I think you should probably just switch to Bilstein B6/B8's if you are looking to swap shocks with lowering springs if your's is a Spec B.

The Swifts drop the car a TON on factory shocks/Konis. Something like 2 and a smidge inches over factory. My H&Rs are rated for 1.3 inches of drop, which seems about right.

Here is my car, to the OP, if H&R springs are your thing. I used a 3/8" spacer on the rear of the car. Unless you load up the trunk and backseats super often, I'd recommend using a 1/4" spacer. The rear sits very slightly too high sometimes.

aQUSjMC.jpg

fcnoOkR.jpg

GonAAao.jpg

Its definitely not too low on my car. They feel stock when cruising but when you take corners you can definitely see the decrease in body roll. Ill do a quick review on them later, I will be upgrading shocks shortly. I know its subjective but imo the drop is great. fyi my car is not a Spec B.

Edited by Unko