LegacyGT.com

Legacy Turbo 2020 Unleaded Gas Octane?

I have never been told that I need to run anything higher than 87 Octane in my Legacy Touring Turbo. However, I have read that most turbos require higher than regular unleaded. What is the situation with this one?

Thanks!

I found the official brochure and it does show the fuel mileage rating for 87 octane. I am really surprised. I mean, this is a turbocharged engine which should really benefit from higher octane gas. More timing = more power. So, they must have 'detuned' it from the factory and optimized it to run with an 87 octane gas. If one day you are able to tune the ECU and increase timing, then you should see a little increase in torque when using 93.

direct injection allows for lower octane fuel to be used without having to pull back timing for knock, and subaru used this to aid fuel economy for both range, and the ability to used 87oct.

i'm sure more power can be made with a tune made for 93, but subaru didn't push that boundary, so 87 is all that is needed.

yes, with a rumored 400hp, of course they will require 91+, but since the CVT in the legacy disintegrates past a stage 1 tune as evidenced on the FA20 VCT wrx, subaru has no need for anything beyond 87 on the legacy/outback XT.

Interesting that they do require premium for the FA20 DIT though. I guess if they did not, then the WRX power rating would be noticeably lower.

So yeah, they must have definitely 'detuned' the outback/legacy XT a bit, as you said, probably to save the CVT. There are probably other reasons too.

Here are the brochures I referred to btw.

https://www.subaru.com/content/dam/subaru/downloads/pdf/brochures/2019/WRX/2019_Subaru_WRX.pdf

https://www.subaru.com/content/dam/subaru/downloads/pdf/brochures/2021/legacy/2021_Subaru_Legacy_Brochure.pdf

the fa20 has less displacement, but essentially the same power output of the FA24 in the XT vehicles. its reasonable to assume the FA20 needs more timing advance to attain that power level, and therefore more knock resistance.