LegacyGT.com

Hello friends. Through an unfortunate set of circumstances completely not our fault, we lost our beloved 2020 WRX. There was no way we could buy a new one exactly as my girl wanted short of waiting 12 weeks or more for overnight :) cars from Japan....so we have taken delivery of a new to us, 2018 3.6R. Yes, now there are two in the family.

Getting to my point I noticed in the service record a tire had been replaced so I got to measuring and mathing and I didn't like the outcome. Can someone double check my method here and comment?

18 in rims = 451.2mm

225x50 = 112.5mm brand new (sidewall height)

Together a new stock setup should measure 569.7. I have no idea how many mm of tread a new tire has but this one has 7mm and the others have 5.

Circumference can't be more than 1/4" different, so converted that's 6.35mm

C=2Pr, so 284.85x3.14x2=1788.86 new

C= 282.85x3.14x2=1776.3 shaved by 2mm. (using radius so I didn't have to solve for more than 2mm)

Delta=12.56mm= 1/2"

So at this point I'm thinking uh oh...new tires...

Right?

Subaru says no more than 1/4 inch difference in circumference, therefore the maximum difference in radius (or tread depth) should be: (0.25 inch) / 2 / pi = 0.040 inch = 1.3/32 inch = 1.0 mm. Perhaps counterintuitively, this holds true regardless of the wheel and tire size. And yes, your measured 2 mm difference in tread depth would equal ~1/2 inch difference in tire circumference. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Maybe you could buy three new tires of the same type as that one ?

Or play safe and just buy four new tires. It's much cheaper than having the tranny rebuilt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I called SOA to get their blessing, and now I'll have to go after the dealership to shave the newer tire or heavily discount a set of 4 new ones.

Unfortunately it's been this way for 6000 miles :(. The lesee didn't know or care....

I called SOA to get their blessing, and now I'll have to go after the dealership to shave the newer tire or heavily discount a set of 4 new ones.

Unfortunately it's been this way for 6000 miles :(. The lesee didn't know or care....

You just need to Buy 4 Tires.. Achilles on Ebay are pretty cheap and actually a pretty good tire they have 400 Tread Wear and great in the rainy weather

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what I ended up demanding from the dealership...cept I asked them for a discount on some decent Yokohama's instead of the stock garbage.

SOA gave me a case number which I'm sure can be used for extended warranty stuff.

How many miles on it?

Hopefully they give you a deal on some Yokos.

if not, if you see snow in your area, look into the new General AltiMAX 365 AW. I'm probably going to put some on my daughter's Subaru when it's time. Or the Nokian WR G4 runflat.