LegacyGT.com

Remote starter / Push button start

Anyone running an aftermarket remote starter on a manual? If so, what system are you using and do you or do you not recommend that system? I want to do a complete conversion to push-button start, proximity key, remote starter etc. and I've found one system that provides an OEM-like conversion but the company looks like it just went out of business this year as they're not responding to any messages or updating their website (Advanced Keys). Check out the video below. Anyone know of another system like this?

I didn't watch the video, but are you great with electronics ?

I'm not, there is no way with all the stuff in these cars...I'd just be happy the car starts every time.

I'd put my money in things that will keep it running well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I didn't watch the video, but are you great with electronics ?

I'm not, there is no way with all the stuff in these cars...I'd just be happy the car starts every time.

I'd put my money in things that will keep it running well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You should watch the video first. Even if I don't do it myself there is an entire industry built on doing this stuff. If it's a well-built kit from a reputable manufacturer there's nothing wrong with installing a remote start system.

I’ve installed two push button starts, one didn’t work at all and the other one wouldn’t pick up they key. Both seemed cheap and neither had any sort of programming at all. I would NOT recommend that at all. As far as a remote start with a manual, the turbo cars have a neutral switch that can be wired into to prevent it from starting while left in gear and I recommend dei products, viper python avital.

I don’t remember, both were purchased off Amazon and I’ve never heard anything good about them. I used to run an audio shop and I did my best to try and install everything to try and find what worked best and I had the best results with those products. Try and be realistic with what you want it to do. The units that advertise doing all this crazy stuff are usually the ones that do the least

I don’t remember, both were purchased off Amazon and I’ve never heard anything good about them. I used to run an audio shop and I did my best to try and install everything to try and find what worked best and I had the best results with those products. Try and be realistic with what you want it to do. The units that advertise doing all this crazy stuff are usually the ones that do the least

Yeah that's why I'm looking for a reputable one. I've seen all the Amazon stuff and don't trust it the cheap Chinese stuff in this regard. The kit I mentioned in the original post had a pretty good reputation and was a Canadian company. They had only good reviews but they don't seem to be available anymore. Might be related to the global chip shortage. Compustar, Viper etc don't offer anything above just the regular 2 way starters and alarms which is too bad. If I find something promising I'll post it here.

Just an FYI if you're wanting to go for an OEM look - in my hunt for the EDM center console I discovered that the EDM left hand drive Legacy/Outback turbodiesel had an optional passive-entry driver door handle and push button starter. I'd imagine you could reuse some of that hardware for the aftermarket kit rather than installing a push button into the trim directly if you can source the parts and get it along with the rest of the console swap (which might be necessary regardless since my swap doesn't line up perfectly with the USDM driver's lower dash panel). Get that red STI push button, oh my. Edited by Memeticism

I don't have a manual. But I did install a remote start system. As far as push button and proximity, not much I can offer for info on that.

But as far as a remote start system I can say what I used. While it does work well and works reliably. It does have some quirks and some of the advertised features don't work as expected.

This is the main part/brain I used: Compustar FT-DC3-HC

Can use different remotes and can add on different sensors.

Not sure if you are interested in installing this yourself. Compustar doesn't support end users. You can do it yourself, dealers aren't really supposed to sell just the parts but you can easily find the parts to buy. You will need a programing cable and will need to sign up "as a business" to access the software to program the brain. So it's a bit of a pain in the ass. It is nice that it's just one box, previous systems needed separate bypass modules or blades. This one needs to have the brain programed. I like to do my own work so I did install this myself.

They did (do?) have a proximity option/add on but was told it was crap and buggy and not worth even trying.

If you want more detail, more then happy to provide more.

It does have the option to start the engine by just grounding a wire, but I don't think that will really get you anywhere as you can't drive away without putting the key in.

Missed that you were probably aware of this already. Do agree a full system with proximity and push button would be great. Would be interested if something is found like that video. Subscribed.

Edited by nevets27