LegacyGT.com

Rear CV Axle standstill

So, in replacing the rear CV axle, I discovered the retaining ring that clips onto the CV axle doesn't fit. The axle is a used OE one from a guy on the forum, and Subaru gave me a part for the ring that doesn't fit. It's too big and snug. Not sure what to do, the car is up on jacks and we can't find a part that works anywhere it seems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The part Subaru gave me was Part Number: 28433AJ01A

Supersession(s): 28433FE000... CV Joint Retaining Ring

The rear axle C clip on the end of the axle is "in the Diff", not part of the axle. From what I've been told by the tranny shop that replace my rear diff a few years back with a new OEM unit, they had to pull it back out and get another one, because Subaru had left that clip out of the diff

May be I misunderstood what he was telling me. When I had the rear diff out back in 2011, I don't recall what the end of the axles looked like.

DO you have a pictures of what your issue is ?

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't have experience with this, but I've also read what max said, it stays in the diff. Also attached fsm pix showing circlip in front axle diagram, but none on rear.

I think that circlip is for AT model rear axles, I don't see an internal circlip listed in the VA type rear diffs that the 4AT and 5AT have.

Circlip inside diff for 5MT

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Wagon/CIRCLIP-Inner-EXC-VDC/49287133/805324010.html

F32401

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Wagon/_54101_6023341/DIFFERENTIAL-INDIVIDUAL/B13-195-02.html

frontaxle.thumb.jpg.135cffc09b5fff1b05c4f9a3a5a8c0ba.jpg

rearaxle.thumb.jpg.08477b87979573ba058fc001cec3d430.jpg

Ok, basically this clip attaches to the inner race of the CV axle. It's so the axle doesn't pop out of the differential. The Subaru parts website seemed to think what I needed was part #28333A or #28433AJ01A with a suppression of #28433FE000 Prop Shaft Snap Ring. CIRCLIP. That clearly didn't fit, and there's no play between the shaft race and the clip is slightly thicker than it needs to be. (That is the wrong clip that's pictured, clip diameter is too big, overall diameter is too small)

Now, in going to the dealership in person, the guy at the parts counter said I needed #28033FA000. Which is a part number I've never seen before, but their dealership parts locator seems to be a more advanced BETA software than I have access to. In checking at home, the Subaru website said it wouldn't fit my car. Ugh. So, why not take a chance? I'm at a loss otherwise.

I've contacted a couple CV rebuild places and they don't know what to say or what direction to point me in. Even Raxles said he had no clue. That no one ever replaces the rears, so it never comes up.

Basically, I installed the refurbished(by me) OE CV axle yesterday without the clip on. It didn't even cross my mind that I needed it, and the old clip wasn't on the used axle(s). My old clip must have gotten lost in the differential when I popped it out.

When I went to drive the car around, I heard a "pop" and lost power. Almost like the clutch was messed up. I had more rpms than power and I had no idea what was wrong. Almost like driving a weird video game. So, I stopped and propped it up, looked and the axle was slightly out of the differential. Meaning there was no power to the RR, maybe the whole rear differential, I'm not sure. That's when I went searching for the clip.

Which was no where to be found. Must have stayed in the differential and got chewed up. It's pretty soft metal, and when draining it to search for it with a magnet, plenty of metallic particles in the oil. So, this is where I'm at Subaru said they'd have it Sat so that's all I've got right now...

IMG_1413.thumb.jpg.a869366a762eecbb9f04578e16bbd635.jpg

IMG_1415.thumb.jpg.1e8eb22988923f8bd15b2a2ffc59121f.jpg