LegacyGT.com

Thermostat removal

Does anyone know if it would hurt to temporarily remove the thermostat from my 2005 Legacy GT? I'm trying to chase down a overheating issue right now and I want to remove the thermostat so it's running nice and cool while I'm in the middle of trying to figure out where the overheating is coming from. I believe it's just an old radiator and the radiator needs to be replaced. However, I don't know that for sure. I wanted to remove the thermostat temporarily and run it for a bit to keep it cool while I was facing down the overheat issue. Does anyone see any problem in doing that?

Sent from my LM-K300 using Tapatalk

Well, your engine runs under temp every time you start up. It's not the best for it, but I'm sure it won't hurt to take it out for a few minutes. If it can't get all the way to normal temp = your radiator is fine?

Edit : Do thermostats like sort of crap out? Like they will open, just not all the way? If it is absolutely stuck shut I would think your car would overheat just about instantly.

Well, your engine runs under temp every time you start up. It's not the best for it, but I'm sure it won't hurt to take it out for a few minutes. If it can't get all the way to normal temp = your radiator is fine?

Edit : Do thermostats like sort of crap out? Like they will open, just not all the way? If it is absolutely stuck shut I would think your car would overheat just about instantly.

On my old Honda, the thermostat got stuck and the car seemed to refuse to overheat on the freeway. Took about thirty seconds before the gauge would creep into the danger zone once I stopped though.

Most Denso parts fail safely. My Camry lost a thermostat after 25 years and it got stuck fully open. I'd assume our cars are the same.

Does anyone know if it would hurt to temporarily remove the thermostat from my 2005 Legacy GT? I'm trying to chase down a overheating issue right now and I want to remove the thermostat so it's running nice and cool while I'm in the middle of trying to figure out where the overheating is coming from. I believe it's just an old radiator and the radiator needs to be replaced. However, I don't know that for sure. I wanted to remove the thermostat temporarily and run it for a bit to keep it cool while I was facing down the overheat issue. Does anyone see any problem in doing that?

Your car won't get up to temperature but it's otherwise alright. Are your end tanks leaking/cracked in typical Legacy GT fashion?

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p9.html

see post # 327.

I think that's cheap and easier then removing the T stat.

Are your fans working when they should ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p9.html

see post # 327.

I think that's cheap and easier then removing the T stat.

Are your fans working when they should ?

Yes fancy and recycling on perfectly. It was, in fact, the radiator. It was just time to get a new one. Thank you for all your great advice 3rd. Much appreciated