LegacyGT.com

IAG oil line routing, just want to get it right.

I am installing my VF52 and the IAG oil lines. It’s tight in that area and I want to make sure everything is routed correctly. Does this look correct for attachment to the head? The line on the right goes to AVCS and the left to turbo. The line up just seems so wonky?

1a3ccbca1dfb70cbbe4c9de1909b4c09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not having one...that does look correct.

I see what your asking about, how that hose routes towards the turbo flange.

I wonder why they didn't put a 45 angle on that hose end...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not having one...that does look correct.

I see what your asking about, how that hose routes towards the turbo flange.

I wonder why they didn't put a 45 angle on that hose end...

My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great minds think alike.

I'm comfortable with making hoses so if you know what fittings you need and where to get them from, The Parker Store near you, or do measurements and have them make the line for you. This is a DIY job.

All those fittings are very common.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Maybe a stupid question, but what's the advantage of this setup over stock? Does the hard pipe from the VF40 not fit the VF52?

Like you, I've always asked the same question. My vf52 is still using the OEM line from when the car was built May 28 2004.

I know BNR turbo required something like this oil line...so may be that's where the thought it coming from.

Here's the famous picture of my vf52 "bolted" to the up pipe.

DSCN4783.thumb.JPG.ce3af14759cbfe674e1116eed9f9f24e.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

Maybe a stupid question, but what's the advantage of this setup over stock? Does the hard pipe from the VF40 not fit the VF52?

Absolutely no advantage other than aesthetics and can possibly be a detriment to oil flow and pressure inside the OE sized turbo (most all of the IHI models that come on Subaru), unless you're going with a huge turbo that might need more feed. Then, the huge turbo manufacturer will make recommendations and also include their own oil feed banjo bolt..

The stock feed line is 3/16" i.d. and feeds through an .055" single hole in the turbo oil feed banjo bolt and is designed to keep a certain amount of pressure inside on the journal bearings. I never recommend these (aftermarket oil feed lines) but a lot of people seem to think they are the way to go.

Also, BNR idea of feeding from a sandwich plate under the oil filter is not a good idea either. The oil has to flow straight up from the bottom of the engine and has a very long distance to travel. If you leave your car sitting for an extended period of time, the oil drains back down the hose and at that point, once you restart, you're virtually spinning the turbo for a couple of seconds without oil.

Remember that the very second you turn your key and the engine turns over, the turbo is spinning. As soon as the pistons move up and down and the valves open, it creates pressure in the exhaust that in turn, spins the turbine, and even if the car never starts, it has spun the entire time you're tuning the engine over.