LegacyGT.com

Cobb GESi downpipe?

I assume anyone here who is on the Cobb mailing list got that email a couple of days ago about all the changes to their downpipes and access ports.

Since the options are getting really limited for downpipes that you can actually buy these days, I think I have considered going with the Cobb GESi one:

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/exhaust/subaru-gesi-catted-3-downpipe-sti-2008-2018-wrx-2008-2014-fxt-2009-2013

But then there's the Grimmspeed one:

https://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed-catted-downpipe-08-14wrx-08-sti-05-09lgt/

If I am planning to put a VF52 turbo on, which one one should I buy?

If you didn't get the email, here you go:

OUR GREEN SPEED MISSION.

Work on our Green Speed mission has been ongoing behind the scenes for multiple years now, and the product of that work is now coming into light. We take the role of being good stewards of the environment as well as our customers’ safety seriously. This is obviously a large undertaking and there continue to be several ongoing initiatives, some of which we’ll share a bit about below. The COBB team will continue to be a leader in the industry by developing and delivering responsible tuning solutions across all of our supported platforms.

CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD EXECUTIVE ORDERS (CARB EO) AND EMISSION STATUS ON PRODUCTS AND OTS MAPS

As mentioned above, this is not a new initiative for us. While the aftermarket industry has seen the need to adapt a bit more significantly in recent years, we received our first CARB Executive Order (EO) in 2009 covering our Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda, and Nissan intake systems. Over the past decade, we’ve ramped up our efforts with testing, partnered with SEMA Garage, and have an increasingly high volume of applications in process for products and calibrations to be covered by a CARB EO. To date, we’ve amassed nearly 30 CARB EOs covering numerous Accessports, Stage Power Packages, Calibrations, and bolt-on modifications.

Emissions compliance will continue to be a very important component in the development of both new products and calibrations (OTS Maps). We introduced an Emissions section to all Product and Map pages in January 2021. The Emissions section of these pages highlights the Emissions status of that product or OTS Map for customers. If an EO from CARB has been issued for a particular product or Map, we provide the EO number and provide an external link to that Executive Order (EO) right from the product or Map page. We also provide details if that particular product is in the Executive Order (EO) application process, still in Emissions testing, or does not require an Executive Order (EO).

CALIFORNIA SHIPPING RESTRICTIONS / OTS MAP DOWNLOAD RESTRICTIONS

On January 28th, we began to restrict product and Power Package shipments to California wherein a product or Power Package required an Executive Order (EO), but we did not yet have an issued Executive (EO). Once an EO is issued for specific products or Power Packages, they are immediately updated in our system, and those products are then available to ship to a California address. On March 1st we began to restrict California customers from downloading OTS Maps that require an Executive Order (EO) but we don’t yet have an issued Executive Order (EO). Once an EO is issued for OTS Maps / Calibrations, they are immediately updated in our system, and those Maps are available for California customers to download from the website and added to applicable Accessport Firmware.

ACCESSPORTS – PRELOADED MAPS, FIRMWARE, WHAT MAPS ARE AVAILABLE, AND WHERE:

On March 1st, in addition to California OTS Map website download restrictions, we made an update to OTS Maps that are preloaded into Accessport firmware. If an Accessport does have an Executive Order (EO) issued for OTS Maps / Calibrations, we’ve removed all OTS Maps from those Accessports and firmware that do not yet have an issued Executive Order (EO). Some additional OTS Maps (not preloaded on the Accessport) will continue to be available for download on our website . In situations that an Off-The-Shelf Map is not currently available for your car’s configuration, our Protuner network is still available for custom tuning.

MIGRATION TO GESI CATTED DOWNPIPES AND RELATED OTS MAP UPDATES:

One of the first modifications generally made to a turbocharged car is an upgraded downpipe. For over a decade, COBB downpipes have been the status quo when it comes time to upgrade supported Subarus, Mazdas, Mitsubishis, Fords, and more. Featuring quality stainless tubing and CAD-designed cast bellmouths, our downpipes are the best fitting and most proven on the market. Over the past couple of years, we set out to make the best downpipes available even better. Our most popular downpipes are receiving updates to improve overall fitment, ease installation, maximize durability, and the inclusion of our proprietary GESi cat. While some versions have already received these updates, we are continuing to work towards transitioning all of our exhaust components (Downpipes, J-Pipes, etc.).

In March 2021, we’ve removed all OTS Maps from Accessports, Firmware, and our website that contained disabled DTCs and toggles. These OTS Maps are no longer offered and are no longer available. We did release improved OTS Maps, and we have re-enabled all superfluous trouble codes including those related to catalytic converter efficiency. When used in conjunction with our new GESi catted downpipes and Stage Power Packages, users can expect DTC-free operation of their vehicle. Some platforms and/or vehicles are waiting for inventory and an “official” release of our new GESi Downpipes or J-Pipes. The improved OTS Maps associated with these releases will not be available until inventory is shipping to Dealers and Customers. A full breakdown and a list of updated exhaust components can be found here.

COBB will continue to lead the way with our Authorized Dealer Network partners, aftermarket industry manufacturers, and our incredibly loyal customer base. We will continue developing and delivering responsible hard parts, packages, and tuning solutions across all of our supported existing and future enthusiast platforms.

We are all going to have to face the fact that changes are happening. Full electrification is not a Jetsons future anymore it is just a few years away.

Gas engines will eventually only be used in heavy vehicles (i.e. semi trucks) and motorsports. For a long time motorsports has had a no rules anything goes stance when it comes to emissions, that will likely change as well. As long as we as enthusiast keep those restrictions reasonable then it might not kill the aftermarket. But we can't leave it to some guy behind a desk looking at a spreadsheet, this is probably the most important time in the history of motorsports since it is the first time is its history that the basic means of powering the vehicles is about to change.

Keep your eyes open guys if we fall asleep on this it can totally kill the aftermarket.

Edited by socalsleeper
typo

To answer the OP, I bought a Cobb catted DP for my OBXT build, but I don't have my car back together yet.

I am seeing indications that tuners are getting leaned on somehow to stay away from defeating or bypassing or tuning out emissions system deletions or modifications. So, no TGV delete for me. As always, I'm late to the party.

Bypassing an emissions device is illegal, so that is easy to see where they are getting pressure from, the law.

What makes it more interesting is that every state and often county has wildly different emissions standards so the gray area is massive.

I wonder how OpenSource tuning will react to the COBB empire change of heart?

I think the bigger question is what is the penalty for defeating emissions devices. That will be the ultimate decider.

If I was a tuner I would not risk my family's well being so someone else can avoid a check engine light. If there is no real consequences then opensource tuning might have a new renaissance.

This is all in response to the EPA and the clean air act fiasco that is going on now.

The Cobb downpipe looks like a better built unit than the Grimmspeed, IMO (for whatever that counts for). What I really want to know is if the Cobb GESi downpipe that's been being sold for a while now on their site is the same or has been changed in some post March 1st.

I'm sure it'll be fine, but man it's $735.

I guess the way I should look at is it is this. The Grimmspeed one could throw a cat CEL, then the new access port won't want to turn it off. The Cobb is designed to not throw a cat CEL code.

Guess, it's Cobb then.

I suppose this was inevitable but the timing is not great. After driving my bone stock Spec B to over 300K I have swapped in a low(er) mileage engine and was thinking about a VF52 and a stage 2ish setup. The Cobb AP was my first choice to buy my way past the learning curve on opensource. But if $800 downpipes and living with CELs is now part of that path maybe I'd rather learn opensource. I will be watching to see how this plays out.

Gary

I just got the COBB downpipe, initially just because of availability. I was convinced I wanted the Invidia. Cheaper and it has that cool divorced waste gate thing. I bet it does something, maybe? Anyways everyone I called was out of stock of Invidia until May or June. I even went so far as to buy from TWO vendors that claimed to have it online but then realized they couldn't get it.

So, here I am - it's 200$ more expensive than the Invidia but I'm happy none the less. I haven't yet got it installed but the build quality is amazing and I am happy with customer service, they provided immediate response to they many questions I had about the cat converter. It wasn't exactly as it appears in the pictures. He was knowledgeable and really dug into the details for me. Turns out it's their new model. It isn't EPA certified unfortunately, but they are currently chasing full CARB cert. I was told the initial data is looking promising.

Got a question.

My car is a 2006 OBXT (ej255 engine). Will the Cobb downpipe for a 2006 OBXT work if I upgrade the turbo in the car to a VF52?

In other words, are the mounting points the same for a VF52 and whatever stock turbo my car has?

I plan to upgrade my turbo at some point down the road.

Looks like it should work based on the IAG VF52 page:

https://www.iagperformance.com/subaru-fhi-ihi-vf52-turbocharger/

• 1 month later...

OP, thanks for posting this. I am torn between the Cobb GESI Catted' Bellmouth and the Invidia Catted' Divorced.

I am surprised it's taken this long for Cobb to make a full 3" end to end downpipe. I am not convinced that the divorced feature that many vendors use affords any real benefit. If anything I see it causing clearance issues with non-oem turbos, should the divorce plate not fit within the turbo housing.

Question to the group at large:

Are there any other full 3", catted, bellmouth downpipes on the market?

Edited by busyychild

The Cobb is the only full-bellmouth design. The Invidia on my car uses a bellmouth mounting system but divorces internally. I cannot speak for the benefits of either design. Rev9 downpipes of old use the same system Invidia does. My Invidia has worked fine for me for the two years I've had it and I believe Max Capacity has had his for several years on both his turbo Subarus as well.

I am telling you all now, It really depends on where you live. I live in the county, and If I am paying for a protune on a dyno, my tuner will do what I want done. Hell you can still get a car to pass inspection by putting a 20 dollar bill in a 30 pack of BugLight and lay it in bed of that lifted old Chevy. :lol:

I am telling you all now, It really depends on where you live. I live in the county, and If I am paying for a protune on a dyno, my tuner will do what I want done. Hell you can still get a car to pass inspection by putting a 20 dollar bill in a 30 pack of BugLight and lay it in bed of that lifted old Chevy. :lol:

On one hand I'm ok with this, but on the other I'm not... Let me explain before I get flamed... (might be too late for that)

If the govt is going to demand that emissions be reduced then fine, it is going to happen anyways it is easier to get with the program than to fight it forever, your never going to win you'll just die tired.

Now if the options are:

a) enforce emissions nationally and remove folks in the "country" ability to ignore emissions.

b) Kill that automotive aftermarket in its entirety (which is what the new EPA regulation could lead to)

c) ban the sale of gasoline vehicles and stick D cell batteries in everyone's butts.

I will take option a) any day, I don't like it. I think there is FAR more benefit from regulating airlines, heavy machinery, public transportation, etc.. than a few thousand cars (at best) in any give city that run a little rich.

All kidding aside the difference between how clean a modified 4 cyl runs today v.s. how a stock V8 American car from the late 1960's is dramatic. Modern cars are way cleaner than anything from a few decades ago. In my perfect scenario hybrids, and electrics become the norm for your average people mover. Gasoline is more of an enthusiast option (kill low octane fuel and only leave 93 and up), and due to the limited numbers emissions can be relaxed for these small volume vehicles. Is it realistic... no, not likely. But I would much rather we all suffer a little than we all suffer a lot.

Lets hear it boys....