LegacyGT.com

Battery hold down bolts-2010 lgt

Tried to replace the oem battery hold down bolts (rusty). Subaru oem long one is fine. The new short one is about 1/4-1/2" shorter than the original. The new one is not long enough to clear the hold down bar so the nut can go on. Checked with the dealer and he opened other pkgs. All the same. He did say that the pkg number had been superseded in the past. The new short bolt would fit the Subaru battery which is about 1/2" shorter than my n Interstate. The old bolt fits fine. Tried an after market brand and the "bend" on the end would not go into the hole in the fender and the bend was too long. Does anyone have a recommendation? This is the only rusty thing on the car and I would like to change it. Wire brushing the bolt would leave it uncoated to begin rusting again. Thanks.

Doesn't work. This is the same kit that I got from Subaru. The enclosed short bolt is about 1/2" shorter than the oem bolt that came on the car in 2010. The old one has fit multiple proper group size batteries in the car. The new short bolt only fits batteries that are the exact height of whatever brand battery Subaru uses as oem.

on parts.subaru.com it looks like the old one was 160mm and the new one is 150mm, so there's your half inch or so... just get a universal j-bolt and call it a day. Napa sells a 6.75" one, and I'm sure other stores do as well. Might be a different nut/thread pitch than the OEM one, but it will get the job done. If you have a die set, get whatever length you want, cut it to 6.5" and add however many threads you need and you'll be good to go!