LegacyGT.com

Just pulled my VF46 does this look normal?

I am upgrading from VF46 to VF52. During removal I noticed a nice build up of oil residue on there front of the cool side. Does this indicate an intake leak? It smoke tested clean previously and hopefully will after the new turbo is installed.

Does this look normal for a car with 140k? 4e769b70df73f471c726e36bbe842ec4.jpg

I am pulling banjo bolts and installing IAG oil feed kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that's pretty much what my vf40 looked like at 142,000 miles.

here's an old picture,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

Do you plan to replace the oil return hose ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The pipe isn't ripped as it did pass the smoke test not long ago. I just would rather be safe than sorry since I don't want to pull it apart again, what a pain in the ass. I should note that there was no clamp on the bottom of the oil drain and that could be part of it. I guess the Subaru dealer in Sacramento didn't replace it, which is strange?

The VF46 has no shaft play at all. But the VF52 has to go in at this point.

So if I do decide replace should I go aftermarket or stock? Which brand is the least pain to install?

Edited by VespaGTS
typo

Well I doubt that if the oil drain was leaking, that it would have caused what we can see in the pictures. And if the turbo was leaking enough oil to cause that, it would have been a big issue before you even thought “is this normal”. Yes vf52 and yes on replacing the intake tube, I’ve only replaced with stock and I wish I hadn’t. I’m sure others will chime in on replacements with pros and cons, fitment, cost etc

Turbo looks fine. They look like that on DD because when you drive around at slow speeds as in normal DD, the pressure inside the turbo isn't high, so the piston ring seals can allow a slight bit past, which is a good thing because it keeps the piston ring seals lubricated and they need that. If you were to look at it as you see it now, and then take it out and drive it hard for a few hundred miles, it would be pretty dry then, and once you start driving around town, it would end up looking like that again.

No worries with that or a bit of oil in intercooler and intake hose.

Turbo looks fine. They look like that on DD because when you drive around at slow speeds as in normal DD, the pressure inside the turbo isn't high, so the piston ring seals can allow a slight bit past, which is a good thing because it keeps the piston ring seals lubricated and they need that. If you were to look at it as you see it now, and then take it out and drive it hard for a few hundred miles, it would be pretty dry then, and once you start driving around town, it would end up looking like that again.

No worries with that or a bit of oil in intercooler and intake hose.

Thanks man! You see more of these than most of us.

Now my issue is the IAG oil feed line install on a 2007. It’s a different setup than 05-06. I should have left the stock lines instead. But now that they are out I have no way to go back unless I buy OEM.

I always recommend OEM lines for everything up to 20G. They fit as they're supposed to, provide plenty of oil feed (when everything is clean) as they are 3/16" and the oil banjo bolts have either an 0.55" or 0.63" orifice. To waste your money on the IAG line is not worth it. Nor do I recommend an inline filter. If you put one in, you're right back at where you started with banjo filters.

Think of the turbo as the "heart" of the car, same as in your body. If the turbo stops (grenades), it infects the rest of the body (engine) and destroys everything in it's path. Keeping the heart "healthy" with oil (you have an oil filter on the engine to clean the oil) and you'll keep the rest of the engine healthy (with a good tune so no lean conditions).

I always recommend OEM lines for everything up to 20G. They fit as they're supposed to, provide plenty of oil feed (when everything is clean) as they are 3/16" and the oil banjo bolts have either an 0.55" or 0.63" orifice. To waste your money on the IAG line is not worth it. Nor do I recommend an inline filter. If you put one in, you're right back at where you started with banjo filters.

I was thinking that too. I'm still using the oil feed the wagon came with.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So I might have found one little issue. There was no clip on the lower connection of the oil drain pipe. That being said there was not a lot of oil below that area?

I'm putting it back together today so I will add a clip and hope for the best.

I have 2007 and the banjo bolt with the screen is located under the turbo inlet so I have to the that out today. Then I will know if there is a tear in it, What a terrible location for this banjo.

FYI - I see that KillerB is making a hard pipe inlet that should be available in June. https://www.killerbmotorsport.net/killer-b-motorsport-extreme-flow-hard-turbo-inlet.html

Edited by VespaGTS
typo