LegacyGT.com

Waking '97 Outback from hibernation

I have a '97 Outback that has been sitting for about 2 years and I want to see if I can get it going again. Unfortunately, this was not planned!

So far I've changed the oil, battery, fuel filter, and siphoned out the old gas and put some fresh gas in.

My understanding is that I need to disable the ignition system to get some oil through the engine before starting it. Could I do that by pulling the engine ignition system fuse in the passenger fuse box?

Is there anything else I may need to do before giving it a try?

You could just unplug the coil and also remove the fuel injector/pump fuse. Don't want to wash the cylinders with fuel by accident. Subarus don't have an oil pressure gauge so you will just have to guess how many rotations is enough, I'd say 6-12 rotations should do it.

Two years is not good, but it also is not a big problem. I resurrected one parked eight years without prep. Its engine was fine after all new hoses, belts and seals. The rest of it was a mess as well, brakes, shocks wheel bearings....

You'll likely have no trouble with just what you've already posted.

It started! What a relief! I think it's now time to pass it on to someone with more time and skill. Although I'm interested in getting it in better condition, I'm not set up to replace all the hoses, belts and seals. And it will be nice to have the garage space free again. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know it won't necessarily need those things to get it back on the road. And it's actually my brother-in-law's car which I took on to help him out. I would be selling it anyway because he got a new car back when he parked it.