LegacyGT.com

Transmission Cooler Hoses, filler location, and fluid type?

My 2010 Legacy needs one of these one hoses for Transmission Oil Cooling. These are rubber hoses with spring clips on either end. Only one is leaking, but I intend to replace both. From the passenger side of the engine bay, I can look and see them both. Both hoses together are about $50.00 bucks. The dealer wants to charge more $500.00 to replace them. Is that “F”ing insane or what!

Anyway. There are two issues that concerns me. With the current leaking, and once I remove the hoses, I will lose some amount of fluid from the lines. I will need to add more transmission fluid. My concerns are the kind of trans fluid needed and where is the filler cap?

I understand these cars use some special kind of fluid (Figures). What kind of fluid is it? Also, where is the transmission fluid filler?

attachment.php?attachmentid=290962&stc=1&d=1616741884

Screenshot-2021-03-26_01_58_34.thumb.png.4611a0a71fd4e7d00ef40355b604a3ee.png

well, do you have a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder? all of the 4 cylinders have CVTs and the 6 cyl has a standard torque converter transmission

I believe it is a 4 cylinder. It is nearly impossible to see the spark plug wires. So, I am guessing. Though, the acceleration performance leans towards 4 cylinders. Is there a sticker someplace on the car with information about the engine?

It doesn't have spark plug wires, this generation has coils that are directly connected to the spark plugs. The 2.5i have 4 intake runner tubes, The 3.6R have a cover but would have 6 intake tubes under the cover. It is likely that you have 2.5i CVT and will need Subaru CVT fluid.

Honestly if it you are having this hard of a time figuring out the engine, you probably should be not changing the transmission lines. What happens if something doesn't go right? I would recommend an independent mechanic, you may get a better price.

Another way is to check the rear bumper. The 3.6 has dual mufflers while the 2.5i has only one.

5EAT has a dipstick and IIRC the CVT is filled through a filler port till fluid comes out of it while the car is idling.

Here's a thread on CVT fluid changes, it has pictures of where the plugs are.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2011-2-5i-cvt-and-differential-fluid-change.52020/