LegacyGT.com

5speed MT won't go into gear while running but will while engine is off

Had the 5speed for a year no issues, engine is rebuilt with 35k miles, transmission has a full 160k. Clutch only has 5-6k miles on it. Drove around this morning with no issues from the clutch/tranny drove fine. Got home and waited for work for an hour. went to leave for work and wouldn't go in any gear, Waited a minute didn't go, pressed super hard, didn't go. Turned car off and went into gear fine. Turned it back on didn't go into gear. Master cylinder has fluid in it suspecting leak in slave/ master cylinder. Didn't give any trouble at all while driving around before, pedal is firm and responsive. Won't try to get into gear just refuses. Havent taken off tmic yet to check for leaks, would there be a smell ?will call subaru dealership tomorrow. Hopefuly clutch hasn't gone out trying to make transmission last before a rebuild next year, working on engine this year. Whatcha think

What parts were replaced with the clutch job, and who did the work? Pressure plate, disc (obviously), throw out bearing and pilot bearing? Sounds like it should be under warranty if you only have 5-6k on it. Subaru does 1 year parts and labor, unlimited miles, not sure about indie shops.

It's not going into gear because the clutch isn't completely disengaging. If there's air in the lines, you could try pumping the clutch pedal to get it to fully disengage.

Did the clutch get hot and warp? That could also keep it from totally disengaging. Where does the clutch start to engage in the pedal travel, just off the floor or higher up?

Update: pumped clutch and let engine warm up still wouldn't disengage, read another post last night said that spring could've rusted and seized and jammed pressure plate. Already ordered new exedy organic stage one clutch. Luckly stimmy will cover it along with labor. Bit of backstory bought Legacy last year and bought it from uncle in Colorado (he changed out the clutch 5-6 months before buying), for the last two months it's been sitting because of snow and salt on the ground(trying to prevent rust) and think that with the humidity change (in missouri) that the clutch springs rusted out and after driving it caused them to go loose.

BTW thanks for all the help, my first thread on here. Stay safe out there muchachos

Edited by xX6TheGoose9Xx

• 2 months later...

Just had this happen. Had to limp home by starting the car I first to take off then shift without clutch. Clutch fork cracked. Get a borescope and peek through the fork boot.

Any recommendations on a beefier part? Also looking for the longest lasting throw out bearing for the reinstall.

Just had this happen. Had to limp home by starting the car I first to take off then shift without clutch. Clutch fork cracked. Get a borescope and peek through the fork boot.

Any recommendations on a beefier part? Also looking for the longest lasting throw out bearing for the reinstall.

Sorry to hear that. The TOB I used is TSK kit, includes beefier TOB and a stainless steel sleeve jacket for tranny snout. TSK works with OEM clutch fork. I have seen pictures of aftermarket 5MT clutch forks that were black iron as 6MT forks but I also heard these forks are not compatible with TKS kits. Kinda pick your poison situation. I did install TSK kits on all our manual Subies.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Update: pumped clutch and let engine warm up still wouldn't disengage, read another post last night said that spring could've rusted and seized and jammed pressure plate. Already ordered new exedy organic stage one clutch. Luckly stimmy will cover it along with labor. Bit of backstory bought Legacy last year and bought it from uncle in Colorado (he changed out the clutch 5-6 months before buying), for the last two months it's been sitting because of snow and salt on the ground(trying to prevent rust) and think that with the humidity change (in missouri) that the clutch springs rusted out and after driving it caused them to go loose.

BTW thanks for all the help, my first thread on here. Stay safe out there muchachos

Where are you at in missouri, I never see LGTs around.. I am in missouri.:spin:

FIXED I bought the car last summer from Colorado let it sit for a month in the winter to prevent rust because I'm in south Missouri. Come March I went out for a drive in it and it locked up and everything. After the shop took it off the clutch had welded itself to the flywheel warped from the moisture and they had to pry it off. Got an exedy stage one clutch on there and it's only got 40 miles on it because now I've got ring failure and about to start a rebuild. Subie gang bb