LegacyGT.com

Death Wobble?

I know Jeep's have this certain death wobble going on, but for Christ's sake I think I've got the same thing going on. When torquing trying to pass in a passing zone, I hit anywhere from 60-65 and get this terrible wobble. It happens at random speeds between 65 and 75 when hitting the highway and I'm kinda going around a curve. Anywhere from 60-80 there will be a random vicious shaking. I am not sure if this helps, but when I go over bumps they feel sensitive in the wheel. Like, if I hit a bump or pot hole, the wheel will go in that direction.

Keep in mind, when I'm driving through town she drives STRAIGHT as an arrow. I can let go of the wheel and she will NOT pull. When I'm on the highway though, she pulls a little bit(could be the road as well) because it won't happen all the time. I can let go and it is fine.

I was told by my local tire place that I go to religiously, after I got a balance(I assume a rotation as well, but making an ass out of u and me, I could be wrong) and the kid said there was a shimmying going on at the time with the front passenger wheel, so they rotated to the back.

I was already feeling the vibration and shake before they rotated, but it got worse when he put the shimmied rim on the rear passenger.

Not sure if this info helps, but I know I need a front piece of the cat because the precious owner tried straight piping it - didn't know til after I bought it. Not sure if that could factor into it as well. My dad suggested a broken transmission mount?? Possibly? We are going to check it out when the weather warms up in a week or so hopefully.

Until then, it is my daily driver and I try to be as careful as possible with her. She's just under 168k miles and has plenty of life left and I plan on taking care of her needs lol. Figured maybe someone could offer any amount of advice if they've experienced anything like this. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take a look at the front bushing on the lower control arm (LCA). My daughters car had similar death wobble. We did all the things focused around tire rotation/balance/etc......turned out to be the front bushing had deteriorated so much that the steel sleeve that goes around the securing bolt under high speed would move in the front LCA. To check it-- put a pry-bar on the front part of the LCA and see if you get any movement as you pry on the LCA. We had the bushing pressed out and new one installed--death wobble no more.

In the attached picture, the busing is labeled 9.

cheers

rdleg05

818332634_ScreenShot2021-03-21at9_30_57AM.thumb.png.c76d82af83ab11e5d0e696df81879c79.png

I had a jeep and I spent way more time and $$ that I should have on that MF-ing thing.

Jeeps have death wobble because they develop an unwanted oscillation in the steering due to about 75 joints in the steering, poor maintenance, and wheels and tires that are too heavy for the undersized components when Billy-Bob-Jim-Joseph III puts 35s on his shit-box rusty 89 XJ with 250k miles blown shocks, a leaky steering stabilizer, and a disconnected swaybar, because "Jeep-life".

jeep-memes-84-300x276.jpg.d5b8193477176a2332538537c1d6edca.jpg

That is death wobble...

What you have is a worn-out steering component/bushing, and/or a unbalanced wheel. These cars have rack and pinion steering, jeeps have worn out steering gear boxes (yes every single one of them).

I had the exact same issue on an R34 and it was bushes, it’s always the first thing I look for now.

No buckled wheel? Are they balanced? If not then have a look at bushes [emoji846]

I think she means bushings. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

take a look at the front bushing on the lower control arm (LCA). My daughters car had similar death wobble. We did all the things focused around tire rotation/balance/etc......turned out to be the front bushing had deteriorated so much that the steel sleeve that goes around the securing bolt under high speed would move in the front LCA. To check it-- put a pry-bar on the front part of the LCA and see if you get any movement as you pry on the LCA. We had the bushing pressed out and new one installed--death wobble no more.

In the attached picture, the busing is labeled 9.

cheers

rdleg05

This is awesome. Thank you!!!!

I had a jeep and I spent way more time and $$ that I should have on that MF-ing thing.

Jeeps have death wobble because they develop an unwanted oscillation in the steering due to about 75 joints in the steering, poor maintenance, and wheels and tires that are too heavy for the undersized components when Billy-Bob-Jim-Joseph III puts 35s on his shit-box rusty 89 XJ with 250k miles blown shocks, a leaky steering stabilizer, and a disconnected swaybar, because "Jeep-life".

[ATTACH]290889[/ATTACH]

That is death wobble...

What you have is a worn-out steering component/bushing, and/or a unbalanced wheel. These cars have rack and pinion steering, jeeps have worn out steering gear boxes (yes every single one of them).

Thank you for this information! Also LOL at "billy bob jim joseph " [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

I had the exact same issue on an R34 and it was bushes, it’s always the first thing I look for now.

No buckled wheel? Are they balanced? If not then have a look at bushes [emoji846]

Bless your soul!!!! Definitely gonna take a gander. [emoji3590]

I had something similar happen which turned out to be a loose castle nut on a front control arm. I would check your suspension fasteners and bushings.

Thank you kindly! Everyone that replied is a major help to fixing this problem. Can't thank you enough!

• 2 weeks later...