LegacyGT.com

Annoyed. CHECK ENGINE code:p0355

Started the car up last night and I noticed the eyesight was off, then I noticed the CHECK ENGINE light was on along with lane departure being off. I scanned for codes and got P0355. Car was running fine. Drove 10 miles and it started mis-firing really bad. It was 3a.m. and I had no choice but to drive it the 10 miles home on the highway. CHECK ENGINE light was flashing at idle, once I got it up to 55-60mph CHECK ENGINE light stopped flashing and was running ok. As soon as I had to go up an incline it started mis-firing really bad again.. I took it easy and made it home. It smells like something is burning an electrical buring smell in the cabin.. I assume it's an ignition coil or something. This will be the second time this has happend. Last time was around 50k and all 6 coils were replaced. With covid and today being a friday, who knows how long i'm going to be without a car. I'm having a really hard time rationalizing with myself that I can keep this car past 100k. I'll circle back once it gets diagnosed.

Update: Just got a call from the service dept. They need the car overnight to try and figure out what the problem is. I asked if they had any idea what the problem could be with the code p0355.... They think it might be carbon buildup and they need to take the valve cover off to investigate. Along with trying to sell the 90k service to me.

-Is it just me or is something not right here?

Carbon build up is odd for a port injected engine. I'd push back pretty hard on that one.

Have you changed your PCV valve? May not at all be related, but hell if they are going with carbon build up anything is on the table. I asked more about the coil packs in your other post....still seems like a coil problem based on your code.

Update: I got the car back yesterday 3/20. It turned out to be exactly what I knew it to be. They replaced coil #on cylinder 5 and the spark plug on #5. I'm happy with how quickly it was handled. Apparently the problem with #5 on the 3.6 is very common. I would almost suggest replacing the coil on #5 every spring, going from the cold northeast weather to warmer wet weather triggers the fault. The method of diagnosis seems odd to me. They swapped # 2-4-6 for #1-3-5 to verify the coil was defective. Along with removing the valve cover on the drivers side. What about the valve cover gasket and the other coils that were disturbed? *If it's not broke don't fix it?