LegacyGT.com

Cobb sf intake questions

Hey,Im recently looking into getting the sf intake with the box so it doesn't attract the heat from the engine. I was wondering if im going to need a tune if i swap it in. I have a 05 lgt automatic. on the cobb website for the intake it says that subaru of 08+ needs a tune so I don't know if i truly need a tune. and if i do do i need to get it right away or is it something that i don't need to worry about. and if i don't get a tune what problems would it cause. please lmk asap thank you!

So, as others will inevitably mention, the factory intake on our cars is really quite good and doesn't become a hindrance till you've got a turbo big enough to make more than 400 crank horsepower. Our cars MAF sensors are also sensitive to the slightest changes in air volume or dirt on the sensor as well, so it's best to leave the stock unit on. If you like the noises, you can remove the snorkus (little funnel-looking thing on the bottom of your airbox) to get some of that. Mine has been removed longer than I've owned the car.

Yes, you absolutely need a tune for every bolt you touch on this car. If you haven't cleaned your MAF sensor by now, do that before anything else.

If you don't get a tune then you risk blowing your motor. Our cars are generally smart enough to not let you do that, but messing with the intake without a proper tune can cause your car to be more prone to knock, and Subaru piston rings are very brittle with regards to knock. As mentioned before, leave this part stock unless it's part of your other plans for substantially more power. I'd also advise a protune in your car's age as a good tuning shop will do a pre-dyno inspection that can look for vaccum leaks and the sort. Your car has aged a bit, and the off the shelf tunes from an Accessport are for a new 05 Legacy GT, not one with 100K+ and 15+ years on it.

Edited by Pleides

If the MAF tube is changed like it is with the cobb sf intake the MAF will need to be recalibrated, so yess you will need a tune for the car to run properlly. You can buy an Accessport which will come with a stage 1 SF tune specifically for the intake, or you can tune the car open source yourself with RomRaider.

lgt not a honduh, so swapping intake doesn't add power. oem plastic snorkel is extremely good as intake. if you want more bling, get a custom madrig snorkel. Or add dei heat reflecting tape to the bottom and side of your current snorkel.

fresh air from oem intake is better than any off the shelf system.

What Boxkita said. Cobb intake on a stock, (hell, even a slightly modified motor) = total waste of money. Only need to upgrade when you max out the OEM unit (like swapping in a 16G or larger turbo).