LegacyGT.com

Power Steering leak

Hi, so it looks like I've got a leak at the power steering pump. Wondering how I can fix this easily and painlessly. The reservoir was at or a bit below "low cold." I just topped it off to "cold max" with Amsoil ATF. I have a feeling it's been leaking for a while, but I've just replaced my timing belt and cleaned the engine pretty well, so the crusty oil soak is new. Any help or suggestions would be great!

IMG_13401.thumb.jpg.b95cb8598e92125f536b3b0cc1b190d6.jpg

Pretty easy, you don't have to replace the fluid. You might lose a little bit of fluid, so it's good to have a little extra on hand. I'd buy 2 o-rings to be safe, since they're cheap. I worry about possibly damaging one if you try putting it into the pump, and maybe hitting it with the elbow by accident.

What I think most people do is they remove the 10mm bolt holding the plastic elbow on, remove the plastic elbow from the pump, put your finger over the hole in the plastic elbow so fluid doesn't spill everywhere, put the o-ring down in the pump and quickly put the elbow back down in.

From what I remember, that didn't work for me, I think I had a little leak. So instead of putting the o-ring into the pump, I put it on the plastic elbow, and then put the elbow back down into a pump. This way is probably a little messier.

DIY

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replace-power-steering-o-ring-247949.html

Pictures of the plastic elbow

https://www.amazon.com/2005-2018-Steering-Connector-%D0%86m%D1%80r%D0%B5z%D0%B0-34431FG000/dp/B08DLPFL3S

oring.jpg.88ce6536edc80bac0314afb2389cc7fa.jpg

It's easy. Definitely recommend putting the new oring on the elbow and not into the pump. As long as you hold the line up it shouldn't spill much and shouldn't need to clamp the line, just a rag to catch/wipe excess and refill reservoir. Couple tight turns in each direction in an empty parking lot after and check fluid. Edited by BoozeRS05

You should be able to tell if it's the o-ring or elsewhere in the pump. O-ring will have residue on the suction line. Oil really should not pool under the pump due to this. If it does it's almost certainly pump.

My started leaking - oil was pooling under it. I replaced it with brand new OEM, which is stupid expensive (~$380). I did not want to chance aftermarket and did not have time to do rebuild. Subaru sells rebuild kit with all the internal gaskets. If interested I can sell my old pump real cheap so you can do rebuild without disabling the car and then just do the swap which is quite easy (<1h job).

Edited by unclemat

My started leaking - oil was pooling under it. I replaced it with brand new OEM, which is stupid expensive (~$380). I did not want to chance aftermarket and did not have time to do rebuild. .

That's the route I ended up taking too. I went through two ac delco professional remans that both leaked, seemingly from the center where the pump halves mate and there is one large o-ring, but I can't say for sure. Got tired of swapping the pumps out and cleaning up the mess. You can sometimes get lucky buying oem parts on ebay, I got a new pump for around $305 or $310 shipped from Quirk parts.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-OEM-SUBARU-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-PART-NUMBER-34430AG03B/393186780010