LegacyGT.com

"VDC off" light staying illuminated

as the title states my 09 OBXT is having an issue where the VDC off light is staying on. I just finished up a full LGT suspension/subframe/transmission swap. the first time I started it the light was not on, but everytime after that it has stayed on. I have bled the brake twice due to some sediment that was coming out of the system.

I cannot find much info on the system itself other than that you should be able to press the button on the lower left side and it should turn off....... but it does not.

I saw one post mention maybe a wheel sensor has gone bad.... I thoroughly cleaned them when I reinstalled them though. And when I use my basic code reader on the car there is no codes...... Is there something better I can use to scan? I think I have FreeSSM on a laptop or tablet, but did not have either of them handy.

yes I did, I put the steering rack from the lgt in. Is there something that needs to be calibrated? I saw that this can happen when people put the STI rack in the LGT/Outback.

I tried to take the ABS controller from the LGT to put it in my car, but the plug for the 08-09 is different than the plug for the 05-07......

So if that is the problem then it seems I will need to find the abs controller for a 08 LGT asap.

I'm not sure if a basic reader can read any "chassis" codes that might be stored. I'd check for codes with a more powerful scanner before going further. From the brief info I have read in the FSM, it sounds like you'll have to program a new abs controller into your car, and it looks like that also houses the VDC controller too if I'm reading all this right. So I wouldn't pull the trigger on that yet.

FSM really doesn't have much on this, oddly enough one of the images below says something about coolant temp affecting vdc. But why doesn't the vdc light come on for everyone when coolant temp is too low, unless there's no signal or something.

Maybe you do have to do a recalibration as shown in image 3

vdc1.jpg.1f6e4b0c05b96e4c01cc02f6e4281e06.jpg

vdc2.jpg.752da6b6c1051f834ed26b12ba1eb10d.jpg

vdc3.thumb.png.b1955324e4621394bfd39a833029bdc8.png

yes I did, I put the steering rack from the lgt in. Is there something that needs to be calibrated? I saw that this can happen when people put the STI rack in the LGT/Outback.

I tried to take the ABS controller from the LGT to put it in my car, but the plug for the 08-09 is different than the plug for the 05-07......

So if that is the problem then it seems I will need to find the abs controller for a 08 LGT asap.

Yes, @apexi covered it. Ensure rack is at spec center, remove steering wheel and recenter if necessary. My son put a spec b rack in his 08 OB. He roughed his alignment and recentered his steering wheel and the issue was resolved.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

whoa thanks for all the info!

I was only going to get the abs controller if I can find one in a junkyard etc. Supposedly I need it to fix the difference in the speed anyways after lowering the car and running the lgt size tires vs the outback.

I might try to scan it will the FreeSSM later. If not I know 2 people at the local subaru dealer that might be able to help me with the reset Apexi mentioned.

I was pretty sure I centered the rack as I counted lock to lock and then found the rough center before putting the steering shaft back on and the tie rod ends. BUT maybe I did not get it perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

double post, but eh

I think I figured this out... I am pretty sure my steering angle sensor is out of calibration. I noticed that the clock spring sounds like it is clicking when I turn the wheel sometimes, My steering wheel might have gotten turned while we were trying to attach it to the steering rack. Thus what it thinks is centered is no longer center.

I ordered a subaru SSMIII compatible device that is in the mail and I will try to calibrate it etc myself. As I also have an airbag fault that will not go away. I tend to like to do things myself rather than pay a dealership.

I just went through the same problems last weekend finishing up a full mechanical swap on the front end. My car has 305K miles and I have swapped in everything (sub frame, suspension, engine & trans) from a lower mile parts car.

I was not careful enough with the steering column while the rack was out, and not only did the center position get off buy a turn (or more). I also over rotated the clock spring and damaged it.

The solution for the VDC light was dis-assembling the steering wheel and re-aligning the angle sensor. There are timing marks in a small window, its covered in the FSM. But just resetting the angle sensor will not clear the dash light, the calibration/clearing will require a more advanced scan tool or the SMM. I have a buddy who owns a shop that did mine.

On mine, the SRS (airbag) light was due to the damaged Roll Connector (clockspring), one of the four airbag leads through the clockspring was open. I tested the airbag circuits with my multi-meter but there is a trick, the harness connectors on the SRS system have ground bars that bridge the pins when disconnected, you have to test the harness with the slider on the connector in the connected position. All my other circuits through the clock spring were fine, the radio and cruse buttons worked. My solution was to swap in the good clockspring from my parts car. Be sure to index the clockspring per the FSM, before engaging it with the properly timed angle sensor. The SRS system only lights the airbag indicator for an active fault, so if you fix the fault the light will go out without a reset. But the stored airbag faults will still show in the memory unless reset, which again will require an advanced scanner or the SSM.

Gary

Edited by All_talk

Interesting, so I took the angle sensor off last night, but did not see any marks on the inside of it.

My airbag light is due to me taking off the steering wheel once and it has never gone away. I probably just need to reset it, but to align the angle sensor correctly I will have to remove the steering wheel once more.... fun stuff.

I ordered an interface that is compatible with my car and the Subaru SSM3

Is indexing the clockspring in the Vacation pics manual? I might need to do that too. Man I messed this up. Everything is working well besides this darn VDC system.

EDIT: reading through the vacation manual again for my year 09, I see the inspection hole that I did not see last night. I might need to take that off again and try to make sure it is correctly aligned. Along with indexing the clockspring.

Edited by boneskid1

I know how you feel, I was really kicking myself for not being more careful. I'm typically pretty cautious and had thought about pre reading the FSM on the subject, but got into the work and didn't want to slow down.

Indexing the clockspring (Roll Connector) is covered in the manual (airbag section), and instructions were on a sticker on the clockspring itself on my '07.

The Angle Sensor will rotate continually, it does not have end stops, mine took many turns to get the timing marks to line up. At several places it was close, but I believe you need it to be spot on, tip of the arrow right on the end of the line, no gap. no overlap.

Note, on mine I could not index the clockspring with it attached to the angle sensor, I could not turn it clockwise to the stop. I had to move both parts to the required positions separately then assemble them together.

The airbag light should only be on if there is a current fault, it does not require clearing old faults to shut off the light. If drivers airbag circuit is not the problem then check the overhead light as apexi suggested. I've had to fix this twice on my car.

I'd be interested to hear how your SSM3 setup works and what you have access to.

Gary

All_talk thank you so much! I will look through the airbag section today and see what it says.

I figured out how to take off the angle sensor from the clockspring, I will try to do it this weekend as I need to drive the car to work..... Sadly my daily decided to have issues and now the oil looks like chocolate milk.

it is possible the connector on the steering wheel airbag is not on all the way. I will diagnose that once the SSM3 thing gets here.

If it works decently I might make a post about it. I do not want to shill to much though as I obviously paid for it and $375 is alot for some people to spend on a diagnostics system. I just miss being able to diagnose issues like that myself like I can with my VW/Audi vehicles.

Chocolate milk, sounds like a head gasket... unfun.

I know what you mean on doing thing yourself, I have recently been looking at tools to do my own wheel alignments. I hate the inconvenience and frankly, I don't trust them to do a proper job or treat my car with care.

Do you have a link to your SSM3 solution?

Chocolate milk, sounds like a head gasket... unfun.

I know what you mean on doing thing yourself, I have recently been looking at tools to do my own wheel alignments. I hate the inconvenience and frankly, I don't trust them to do a proper job or treat my car with care.

Do you have a link to your SSM3 solution?

https://www.vxdiagshop.com/wholesale/vxdiag-subaru-ssm-iii-multi-diagnostic-tool.html

That is the one I bought, had it shipped from the US.... It should be here Saturday hopefully. I just need to get Windows 7 running on an old laptop. I guess SSM3 does not play nice with Windows 10 or something weird.

And yeah it might be a headgasket. Sucks too cause I was not quite done with the Outback yet.

With doing things myself it is more about knowing about my cars too. I want to know where everything is and how to fix it lol.

back again with an update, The SSM3 software install is kicking my ass. But it kind of works when it wants to. I found part of my issue was the steering angle sensor not being lined up correctly with the marks on the inside of the sight hole and the clockspring was actually broken.

1 bran-used clockspring and aligning the angle sensor and we should be good.

Sadly my laptop is not charging correctly so I cannot use VXDiag to calibrate the VDC system which is the last thing I need to clear the light I think.

OK VXDiag worked! I had to use another laptop and I guess that will be the designated SSM3 laptop cause I had to disable all the anti virus and everything cause it is not an official version of SSM3 I guess? Which makes sense cause I am not a dealership....

But either way I solved my issue. Aligning the angle sensor, replacing the clock spring and calibrating the VDC system did it.... now to figure out what else I can do with SSM3.

It looks like I might be able to turn off the pesky TPMS light and maybe the Seatbelt warning?

Disclaimer: I do wear my seatbelt and check my tire pressures regularly. But if I just need to take the trash out I do not need to use the seatbelt to move 5 yards....

Oh man gonna bring this back up as I did something similar to op but then also had an unhelpful dealer. There's another dealer nearish that might be helpful but I don't want to pay dealer prices if I need a new clockspring. Thread is super helpful so only a few questions.

For the vxdiag, any thoughts on if the software will work with a tactrix or obd link? I figure they both read canbus data and will work with free ssm so maybe but since free ssm is dead and doesn't do vdc stuff I haven't touched it.

When you use the vxdiag did you plug it in and it basically just say your steering angle was off? Or did you have to follow all the FSM diagnosis?

Don't have a win7 laptop but I imagine I can pick one up pretty cheap. Maybe there's a chrome book emulator....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no so the VXDiag is an emulator box that allows communication from the car to the SSM3 software.

The Tactrix cable has the right chip but from what I can find on the tactrix cable it is not programmed to send data to the ecu correctly. (I did a bunch of googling on this and found a few people tried with no luck) I did not try the tactrix cable however.... but the SSM3 software is listed on that link on the first page. If you have the cable you could give it a try. I ended up using a Windows 10 laptop and it all seems to be working now... I think. but I will only be using that device for the VXDiag stuff and some PDFs on my car and the program.

for the calibration I had to refer to the FSM ala Vacation pics pdf. And I managed to find a olddddd pdf for the ssm3 software that explains some of the methods the FSM asks you to complete. Sadly it did not say how off it was, but there is a section in the FSM that talks about aligning the steering angle sensor. There is a little sight hole on the back and the hash mark on the wheel inside has to line up with the secondary wheel on the inside. I explained that horribly so sorry, but if you look in the FSM it will make a little more sense. The clockspring has the alignment steps printed on it actually. I did not realize that until I was installing my bran-used one last week.

Now I have to figure out how to get cruise control and the menu buttons working with an aftermarket steering wheel.... why do I do these things to myself lol.

Good Luck!

Edited by boneskid1

OK makes sense. I kinda figured that's how the box worked and therefore was needed or else it would be a much more popular tool.

Yea I looked through the FSM but was hoping to avoid taking my steering wheel off. Overall doesn't look too bad though.

My biggest thing I'd do with an ssm tool would be to set the defrosters to stay on. The windshield wipers starting to ice up because it's been fifteen minutes is annoying. Like cmon if I need to use that thing I'll be driving more than fifteen minutes.

My biggest thing I'd do with an ssm tool would be to set the defrosters to stay on. The windshield wipers starting to ice up because it's been fifteen minutes is annoying. Like cmon if I need to use that thing I'll be driving more than fifteen minutes.

On the cars with factory navigation there is a menu to adjust the defrosters times. I wonder if the other cars have a code of button pushes or something to get to the setting?

• 1 month later...

@boneskid1 and @Nonamedude, I read posts #18 and #19 but was curious if you ever did confirm or try using FreeSSM + Tactrix cable to view/calibrate the VDC/Angle Sensor?

I am about to replace my clock spring and angle sensor and would love to know if it can be done with SSM, rather than me having to take it to the dealer. SSM3/4 is not an option for me right now.

Thanks!

Edited by busyychild

Actual ssm3 is extremely expensive, I looked it up once and the software license is like 10k a year.

I haven't tried it. I looked at basically ALL the possible documentation on freessm and didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it would. I've just been continuing to ignore it, haven't flat spotted my tires yet.

I just picked up a VAG COM KKL 409.1 ODB2 cable and have the Development release of FreeSSM running, which has the ABS/VDC control units.

I’m able to connect to the ECU, but not the TCU or ABS/VDC through FreeSSM.

Unsure if it’s the cable, or my Clock Spring and Angle Sensor are completely toast and not sending any signals back.

Once I the Clock Spring and Angle Sensor I will try again and report back.

I tried using FreeSSM with the vcds cable and the Tactrix cable and it did not do anything for me. I had to use the SSM3 with that box I bought. I forgot to do a little run through with it as life and work got a little busy for me. If I find the time this summer I will do that though.