LegacyGT.com

EJ251 timing belt questions

Hi, I just started a timing belt replacement for a 1997 Legacy 2.5L, which I believe has an EJ25D. Please ignore the title, I think my first guess was wrong. I've done several timing belts on EJ255s, but this is my first time working on a normally aspirated Subaru.

Immediately after removing the timing covers, I encountered 2 potentially serious issues.

1. Tensioner type. I bought a ContiTech TB277LK2 timing kit, which came with the type of tensioner I'm used to, the swing-arm with the hydraulic rod integrated into the arm:

404722923_Swingarmtensioner.jpg.e372a35db02be2284e044370b1f13a23.jpg

Turns out this car has the tensioner with the long horizontal hydraulic rod and the eccentric pivot pulley:

1781482174_Rodtensioner.jpg.ac5d030228e2ed3156ff4bd5f6972d1a.jpg

I have not removed the timing belt to see if the tensioner types are interchangeable. Can one engine use both types?

2. Cam lock. I have the Company 23 cam lock tool to hold the left intake cam in place. It uses 8mm Allen holes in the cam ends. This engine does not have the Allen holes. It has 17mm hex heads. How am I supposed to lock the cams in place?

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by relative4

I don't think the 25D came with both style tensioners, the 25D would have come originally with the style tensioner you bought, while the 2.2 uses the barrel style tensioner. The bracket that the tensioner mounts to is removable so in theory you can use either tensioner, just that both style tensioner won't mount to either tensioner bracket. Hopefully that makes sense.

Ah, the tensioner bracket. Gotcha, thanks.

Regarding question 2, there is no tool; you just have to release the cam (preferably gently) when removing the belt, then position it when installing the new belt. Kind of a hassle, but not too bad.