LegacyGT.com

rumble between shifts

Good afternoon all. I've been chasing down a rattle/rumble for a few months.

It occasionally happens when I'm going 65+ and turning right, but most often it happens between shifts at any speed.

I have thoroughly checked over my suspension components on both sides and can't find anything that would be the cause. Just last year I replaced the control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, and sway bar end links so I really wasn't expecting it to be anything there. However, from the driver's seat, it does seem to come from the front left side of the car (though that could maybe just be where I'm sitting, as others in the car say they hear it from the rear).

In another thread, I recently mentioned this and someone told me to check on my driveshaft. I just got under there and couldn't seem to get too much movement from the driveshaft or replicate the sounds. However, the carrier in the center of the car does have a little play to it. I made a quick video to see if you guys think this could be the cause. It seems unlikely to me that this would be causing the noise as I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be a little bit of play there, but that's all I could find

Let me know what you guys think about this. I'd love to get this sound sorted out it drives me crazy. Also if you think this probably isn't the answer, please let me know what you guys suggest checking next. I have the car up on jack stands right now so should be able to get in there and check quickly.

Edited by NickCawks

My carrier bearing has even more play to it than yours and I am the one who mentioned to check it. Have you checked to see if your pitch stop mount looks good? Same goes for engine and transmission mounts.

Could also be a wheel bearing if it happens when going at higher speeds. Pretty common point of failure on all Subarus. If you have access to a lift or four jack stands, put the car on said thing and leave the car in neutral with the brake off (or just leave it in park if it's an auto). You can then grab one spoke of a wheel with one hand while holding the associated spring for that wheel's suspension in your other hand. While you grip the spring, spin your wheel of choice like you're gonna make some big money on Wheel of Fortune. 9 times out of 10, if you feel anything at all in your spring then you're gonna need to replace that wheel hub.

Man I wish it was a wheel bearing at least I'd be in charted water (for me)

-pitch stop seems to be in great shape

-Transmission mounts are also in good shape

-All 4 wheel bearings are solid as a rock - I did try your recommended test on the wheel bearings as well and couldn't feel anything, just hear the sound of my pads rubbing on my rapidly rusting rotors.

I'm truly at a loss with this one, it may just be my inexperienced eyes but I just can not find an explanation.

When my carrier bearing was going bad, I could feel the vibration with my right elbow resting on the center console. I don't recall checking for it making a clicking sound. But it was bad.

The Driveshaft Store in CA is the place it get a replacement. See post # 296, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p8.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

well, i finally gave in and took the car to a local shop for them to tell me what the issue was.

They couldn't figure it out, had me come in and take them on 2 test drives. On the test drives, the tech clearly heard the sound I was referring to.

However, following these test drives I get a call from them telling me that the sound is happening because my exhaust is rubbing against my subframe brace.

This was pretty laughable. The sound has been happening for much longer than I have had the exhaust on my car. Not to mention I have a cheap eBay exhaust I bought for $200 from a local recycler and installed it myself. The thing hangs more than two inches lower than the subframe brace. The only thing the exhaust is in danger of making contact with is the ground as it hangs SUPER low.

fo you have video of noise?

if rumble could be out of balance wheel.

if rattle, something is banging.

if you want to self-diagnose, get this: https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-19200-Tachometer/dp/B0044AV5VK

get car upto speed where you hear the noise, then use this device to discover the frequency of the vibration. Then match frequency to the generator. Might require math to find the frequency generator. Also might require a passenger with patience to test various locations.

Another option is get a shop to test using "chassis ears". Link - https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-60635-Wireless-ChassisEAR/dp/B07K3XZR7R

Spendy for one time use.