LegacyGT.com

What is "double clutching?"

[quote name='jk']what isn't made clear in that explanation is why it's better to rev match in neutral than while the clutch is still depressed.[/quote] Rev matching in neutral also allows the layshaft to come up to speed. When you have your foot on the clutch, the layshaft is disconnected so you only affect engine speed. Basically, the more components you can get moving closer together in speed, the less drivetrain shock -- that's what double clutching and rev matching is all about. With modern synchronized trannies, you typically don't need to double clutch to get into gear -- it just minimizes the drivetrain shock. Also, with finicky transmissions (ie. other Subaru 5MTs) you sometimes need to double clutch to downshift into first. What's probably a more worthwhile technique to know is heel-toeing. It takes some practice to get the movements right. Find a nice empty street or parking lot and try it slowly. You won't get the benefit since the engine RPMs will probably die down before you can get it in gear, but work on the motions. Once you've got it down and don't have to think about it, start speeding it up. Ken (who now lets 5EAT manage drivetrain shock)

Double-Clutching Truck transmissions don't have synchromesh gears which allow you to shift even if the input and output shafts are rotating at a different speed. For a truck, you need to match speed with what the engine and wheels are doing. Shifting for truckers is a two-step process. Hit the clutch and put the transmission in neutral. You then quickly tap the accelerator to match engine revs with what the wheels are doing, hit the clutch and put it in gear. You can use this method to see how smoothly you are shifting normally, and helps you learn how to rev match. The benefits of rev matching include smoother transitions between gears, especially on downshifts as well as reducing the wear and tear on the synchromesh gears themselves. Taken from: [url]http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html[/url] Only times I bother is when going down to 1st while still moving, or going into reverse after just coming to a stop. -B

[quote name='irunfromcops'][quote name='MarkyD'][quote name='Euclid'][url]http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm[/url][/quote] Sounds complicated. I'll have to try it in my Legend on the way home from work. :twisted:[/quote] don't bother, it's pointless[/quote] Well, I was able to do it on the 4th try. Ever since then, I've been able to do it every time. I was playing with it on the way home...I see the benefit, but it's more trouble than it's worth. This is why my Legacy will be a 5EAT.

[quote name='MarkyD'][quote name='irunfromcops'][quote name='MarkyD'][quote name='Euclid'][url]http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm[/url][/quote] Sounds complicated. I'll have to try it in my Legend on the way home from work. :twisted:[/quote] don't bother, it's pointless[/quote] Well, I was able to do it on the 4th try. Ever since then, I've been able to do it every time. I was playing with it on the way home...I see the benefit, but it's more trouble than it's worth. This is why my Legacy will be a 5EAT.[/quote] Yeah, well I'm sure writing seemed like more trouble than it was worth in kindergarden...

[quote name='Beanboy']Double-Clutching Truck transmissions don't have synchromesh gears which allow you to shift even if the input and output shafts are rotating at a different speed. For a truck, you need to match speed with what the engine and wheels are doing. Shifting for truckers is a two-step process. Hit the clutch and put the transmission in neutral. You then quickly tap the accelerator to match engine revs with what the wheels are doing, hit the clutch and put it in gear. You can use this method to see how smoothly you are shifting normally, and helps you learn how to rev match. The benefits of rev matching include smoother transitions between gears, especially on downshifts as well as reducing the wear and tear on the synchromesh gears themselves. -B[/quote] Double-clutching a truck is back in the dark ages with old Mack's. I drove trucks for 3 yrs over the road moving wide loads. You don't need to double clutch at all, you don't even use the clutch to shift up. I did use it to downshift and take off only.

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='MarkyD'][quote name='irunfromcops'][quote name='MarkyD'][quote name='Euclid'][url]http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm[/url][/quote] Sounds complicated. I'll have to try it in my Legend on the way home from work. :twisted:[/quote] don't bother, it's pointless[/quote] Well, I was able to do it on the 4th try. Ever since then, I've been able to do it every time. I was playing with it on the way home...I see the benefit, but it's more trouble than it's worth. This is why my Legacy will be a 5EAT.[/quote] Yeah, well I'm sure writing seemed like more trouble than it was worth in kindergarden...[/quote] :offtopic: Yeah, well I'm sure spelling seemed like more trouble than it was worth in [b]kindergarten[/b]. :P Triple clutch if you want, but save the pointless insults for someone who cares (try a mirror). :roll:

[quote name='kenzo'] :offtopic: Yeah, well I'm sure spelling seemed like more trouble than it was worth in [b]kindergarten[/b]. :P Triple clutch if you want, but save the pointless insults for someone who cares (try a mirror). :roll:[/quote] Pointless like pointing out common spelling errors? Also, it wasn't an insult.

[quote name='irunfromcops'][quote name='MarkyD'][quote name='Euclid'][url]http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm[/url][/quote] Sounds complicated. I'll have to try it in my Legend on the way home from work. :twisted:[/quote] don't bother, it's pointless[/quote] Agreed. Sounds all fancy and that, but if you get someone rattling off about double clutching and stuff, he's not driving right. It's not necessary and only slows you down if you are in a hurry (racing).

[quote name='Throttlejockey'][quote name='Beanboy']Double-Clutching Truck transmissions don't have synchromesh gears which allow you to shift even if the input and output shafts are rotating at a different speed. For a truck, you need to match speed with what the engine and wheels are doing. Shifting for truckers is a two-step process. Hit the clutch and put the transmission in neutral. You then quickly tap the accelerator to match engine revs with what the wheels are doing, hit the clutch and put it in gear. You can use this method to see how smoothly you are shifting normally, and helps you learn how to rev match. The benefits of rev matching include smoother transitions between gears, especially on downshifts as well as reducing the wear and tear on the synchromesh gears themselves. -B[/quote] Double-clutching a truck is back in the dark ages with old Mack's. I drove trucks for 3 yrs over the road moving wide loads. You don't need to double clutch at all, you don't even use the clutch to shift up. I did use it to downshift and take off only.[/quote] exactly, double cluthing is totally useless with any modern transmission. i never use the clutch to upshift either of my bikes when i'm riding hard and occassionally i don't use the clutch in my car to upshift..it always goes in fine.

Archived