LegacyGT.com

A Legacy GT find...

Well, it's not so much a "find" as I have known the car for years. Tried to grab it a few years ago, but didn't as I was relocating south. Now I'm back in New England, and closer to the car again...

The story: The car is a Legacy GT Limited Wagon. Five speed. I believe a 2005. A fairly rare build combination/color, I am told. Burgundy exterior, tan leather interior, in a wagon with a 5 speed.

It's owned by a friend who bought it from the original owner. At that time, the car had about 20,000 miles. Car was parked due to a knee issue and I think its got 24k on the ODO. Finally going to get it this spring, likely, and I'll get to restoring it. Never been wrecked, but a good dent in a door that, while repaired, wasn't clear coated properly, so that'll need addressed. That's the easy part.

My thoughts are, just do to age and sitting: All new brakes and calipers, new timing belt, flush coolant, bake fluids, flush fuel lines. Inspect e-brake cable. Possible wheel bearings. Obviously all the filters. I'd image an OBD2 scanner is in order. Electrical cleaning of cannon plug connectors here and there....

Just thinking out loud. Open to recommendations. I'm pretty handing and can do most if not all the work. Although I might consider having the dealer or reputable foreign tech do the timing belt.

Chime in...

Yes, the 5mt wagons were one year only, 2005. There is a sticky up top with the build numbers. mine was built on May 28 2004, the 193 one made, 1 of 108 in its exact model and paint.

The brakes them selves should be fine. I doubt the caliper piston boots are bad. The brake fluid flush will tell you a lot by the color of what comes out.

There is a DIY timing belt thread, use a Aisin kit not the Gates kit or belt. It's about $600 labor to replace the kit. I use Prestone green coolant mixed 50/50.

Check the tires for dry cracks. Tires only last about 7-8 years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah that's the other corner of the state...not that this state is that big...LOL

Here's the service manual so you'll have it.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

There's JmP6889928 sticky up top also with various parts ... that has lots of info too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah that's the other corner of the state...not that this state is that big...LOL

Here's the service manual so you'll have it.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

There's JmP6889928 sticky up top also with various parts ... that has lots of info too.

Ha, yes it is. But like you said, not too far.

I searched the build sheet. Looks like I have one of five:

Legacy GT wagon MT Ltd (tan)

Pretty cool:-)

Besides changing the fluids and oil, I would for sure get the banjo bolt filters out and at least clean them thoroughly. If the car was sitting for so long chances are they may be gunked up.

Probably worth putting some cheap fresh oil in along with some engine flush and just turn the engine either by hand via crankshaft bolt or with starter but with fuel cut off - either pull the fuse or have the gas pedal to the floor. Crank some, then drain that stuff out. Then put some fresh oil in again and crank on cold still with fuel cut off.

It'd be a shame to lose a turbo to gunked up oil lines/banjo bolt filters.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Good to know about the Aisin timing belt suggestion now over the Gates kits.

I went through a very similar process buying a car in 2018 that hadn't run since 2010. It had tires on it from 1998... I know that because it's the same tread pattern as in the magazine the car was in back in 1998 lol. I also sent out the fuel injectors for cleaning and had to replace some on that but it is originally an 88.

Another coolant suggestion is Peak Global Lifetime. I've been using it in all of my cars and everytime I remove it it's so clean I'm able to reuse it. Been very happy with that coolant.

Another CT member here as well but on the complete other side of the state diagonally... LOL

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edited by B-BGTLimited