LegacyGT.com

Looking at a '97 GT

Project84

Thanks for looking at my thread and for any of the helpful info you could pass to me after reading this.

Im looking at a potential project car... its a 1997 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 AWD

the car has some options that may be important which are:

Cruise Control

AWD

Automatic

Power Locks/Windows

Sunroof

ABS

16" Factory Wheels

Spoiler

the car has 112K miles on it which I thought is kinda high but I can live with.

THE CAR IS WRECKED

I went to a Subaru dealership and priced the new/replacement parts and they are as follows:

Hood: $370.00

Front Bumper: $239.95

Grille: $229.95

Headlamps: $249.95 ea.

It may even need a radiator and the center section of core support.

I have rebuilt cars after being wrecked before but never an import, and never something that I planned on keeping for myself, as I am planning for this.

My questions are basically:

1) Anyone have these parts or know of a website or ebay dealer that I can get them from for a lot cheaper than what GM wants for them?? I know their prices aren't all that outlandish but im used to rebuilding cars w/ junkyard parts at $50 per panel whether it be hood, door, decklid, etc...

2) If I purchase the car for $1000 (thats the owners asking price) do you think its worth it considering the damage and rebuildability??

I really wanted to find a 5 speed AWD car but when I learned a friend had this Subaru in his garage it just got me thinking of the possibilities of rebuilding it and having a relatively nice car as a daily driver instead of my current beater.

thanks, and if it isnt too much trouble, if you have info, please email it directly to me at

jskeet84@yahoo.com

thanks again,

John

no one has any info on where parts can be found?

surely someone on here knows where factory parts can be found... any leads/tips/advice?

does anyone have an opinion on whether or not $1000 for the wrecked car is a good price/good idea or are the earlier LGT's not worth as much and more prone to maintenance issues??

Jedi Pimp is correct on the Phase I DOHC 2.5L engines being prone to HG failure. This is the single most important piece that I check extra carefully on these cars. Also, what is the overall maintenance history on the car? Was the coolant changed at the prescribed 30K mile intervals with Subaru coolant? What about oil changes, timing belt, etc.?

Will the car run? Is the radiator/cooling system damaged badly enough that you can't do a leak down check on the cooling system or a hydrocarbon sniff test on the fluid. If either checks come up positive (leak down or hydrocarbon present) then you'll likely need to analyze it further unless its conclusively HGs. If HGs need replacing, then factor in about $1500 unless you do it yourself. Then you're likely looking at $300 for parts/materials.

WRT parts, I'd find good used replacements for the items you're researching. Unless you absolutely have to have brand new parts, that's the route I'd take. If you have the part numbers for the pieces you're looking for, then go on-line to www.subarugenuineparts.com or send an email to Jamie Thomas (SubieGal) at Jamie@ChaplinsVWSubaru.com [jamie@chaplins.com]. Let her know what you're looking for and provide the VIN for your vehicle to she can cross it to the exact part.

Hope this helps.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Shit $229.95 for the grille and $249.95 for each head lamp? Go to a Junkyard for those, I bought a spare grille for $80 and I know for sure you can get a set of JDM Projector Headlamps for about 249.95 on Ebay. Good car (I have one) and if you really want it as a project car, have the headgaskets tested, or find out if they have been replaced. I warn you now though that the 2.5 DOHC doesnt handle boost well, about 6 psi is what you should use, anymore and you're looking at problems.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived