LegacyGT.com

Question for those who fiberglassed a box in the corner of the trunk

feardaram

what was the max mounting depth of your box? im starting to look around at subs but im not sure what kind of mounting depth i have to work with. the box i glass will look pretty much identical to the one below (sorry for stealing a pic of someones work). thanks!

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10446&d=1128202633

I just started my research on this very topic after buying a 10" sub at a Black Friday sale and then wondering how I was going to install it. Hopefully Santa will bring me some fiberglass. :-)

Executor, nice job on your trunk enclosure. The pics give great insight into the process. MoGt has a similar thread that I have been following about his own sub install. Many similarities between the processes but a few differences. The biggest is that he is in Austrailia, which leads me to some of my questions.

- Feardaram had inquired about mounting depth. I noticed that both you and MoGt had more depth than the typical depth of the sub. I played around with my sub and it looks like it could be mounted closer to the outside body. This would take up less space and make the integration into the trunk a bit easier. Is more volume inside the enclosure better?

- Carpet cover - where did you purcahse the gray carpet covering? Looks very similar to the factory piece.

- How thick was the fiberglass that you did? MoGt was talking about 1/2" and then 3/4" for the plywood. Obviously thicker is better but at what point is it too much?

- Enclosure mounting - I am assuming from the pictures, that you taped off the carpeted area and then glassed over it. How did you hard mount the enclosure to the body? MoGt showed a "pad" he made that had 2 screws holes on the bottom. I would imagine that to get proper sound that the enclosure would need to be mounted on a least the bottom and maybe on the side/top.

I have installed 3-4 stereos in my cars over the years with amps, equalizers, etc, so I am familiar with the process. Have never installed a sub, always relied upon the traditional speakers for this. My days for bigger bass were the original days of rap (late 70's/early 80's), not the super bass gibberish that passes for the modern version today. My home theatre setup has finally clued me into the need for some dedicated bass.

Thanks for sharing your info.

Ok... For the first question, I think that the more volume you have in the box the more sound you will get. As for how much volume to the ratio of your speaker and the proper amount I am really not sure on that part. As for how it sounds, I dont notice any differerance going from my box in those pictures, to the fiberglass enclosure. But thats just IMHO.

As for the carpet cover, I bought it at a local car audio shop. I checked out Auto Zone, Wal-Mart, home deopt, and coudnt find anything that matched so I tried the local shop and they sold me some of the carpet they use to cover their boxes. It was $15 for 2 pieces about 3x6 ft... ish... Not too bad on the price IMHO.

I put 3 layers of the 4oz mat fiberglass as the base for mine. Then I put (hrmm... I think it was 1/2inch, pretty sure on that...) MDF board on the front. Then I put 2 layers of fiberglass from the casing to the MDF. That made it fairly air tight. Then just as a precaution, I took some sealant/caulk/liquid nail and sealed the inside of the box around the MDF.

As for mounting the enclosure to the body, go to Wal-mart and buy the Industrial Strength Velcro. When I bought it I felt the velcro and was like... yea right, this doesnt feel like velcro and surely wont hold. But... I found out WAY different when I went to put a piece on the carpet in the trunk. It held like you wouldnt believe. And since its self adhesive, you put it on the fiberglass and/or the carpet and then slide it back into place. I can assure you that it will not come out without some serious pulling. Once the adhesive has set for 24 hours they say it wont come off without taking some of the enclosure with it. And the velcro is very grippy, so Im not sure how it will come out when I go to remove it, but it shouldnt tear the trunk interior.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them for you. I am hoping to make a walkthrough for the process, probably hosted on my site and then just have a link from the forum to it. I will be putting it in car audio, but mods might want it in the walkthrough area. But either way I hope to put it on there for all to see.

The biggest thing for me with this project is that I have never worked with fiberglass before, so... with the walkthrough hopefully anyone will be able to follow and make one themselves if they want. It reallly was simple, just very time consuming.

Also, I would highly suggest buying the fiberglassing stuff from Wal-mart, it was cheaper than home depot and it was the same stuff just had different pictures on the containter. :) The bondo fiberglass resin was about $11 per container (I would say 2 containers per enclosure you make, 2 for left side 2 for right side). The 4oz fiberglass mat ( the woven cloth kind, dont buy the shreded kind, I used that for the first layer and it was a pain in the rear, I used the woven cloth kind and it was just as good, and easier to work with.) was only $4 per package, I would say 3-4 per side.

Anything else, you can PM, or post back here.

Thanks

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=382265#post382265

This is a walkthrough I just made... Hope it helps.

BTW, rao, its not really that hard at all. I am sure that you could do it. Just look at the walkthrough and it should be simple to follow.

If anyone has any suggestions for the walkthrough or things I missed let me know. Thanks

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Here are some pics of my Alpine Type R 10 installed in my LGT.

I could not find the mounting depth of the sub, but it is big (maybe 9 inches deep) and I had room to spare.

What model and watt amp are you using to drive your 10"?

What model and watt amp are you using to drive your 10"?

Can't remember off-hand the model number (will find if you can't).

The amp is an alpine 600 watt mono-block. It is their amp that can work with AI-net.

Archived