LegacyGT.com

Shift Shaft Seal Replacement

Hello Everyone,

First Post, YAY :)

I just purchased a 02' Legacy Wagon w/ 5sp a couple days ago and after getting it up on the lift and inspecting things I noticed its got a pretty good leak from the shift shaft seal. I picked up a new one from the local dealer for $10 and am looking forward to digging in for the first dirty job on the old girl.

I am familiar with the shift shaft seals on the old BMW's so not totally going in blind but the Subaru has a different setup so was hoping for some insight, perhaps a DIY write up.

While I am in there I would also hope to tighten up the shifter action, its pretty sloppy.

Thanks Everyone :)

Robert

Alright so I have done a little research and it looks like the shifter seal is behind the extension housing cover. That kinda sucks, looks like I will also be replacing the output seal as well. :icon_neut

So anyone got any write ups/advice on pulling the extension cover without removing the transmission?

Thanks Again

In theory it can be done in car by removing the rear extension housing of the transmission and using a blind seal puller to get the seal out. You'd then need to use a long pipe or something similar to slide over the shift rod and tap the new seal in place.

There is a video on youtube by briansmobile1 where he does this but I can't find the link.

• 1 month later...

If I were trying this in the car flat backed in a driveway; I would drop the exhaust at the header and bracket off the back of the tranny. I don't think you need to disassemble it further just let it dangle.

Then drop the back tranny subframe off. Its 4 14mm bolts I believe.

The shift linkage is 2 roll pins. You can smash them both out at once but be gentle and properly do one at a time

The rear housing seal is much easier to remove after the housing is pulled. punch the seal out from its rear side.

Just mangle the old seal out of the orifice without scratch anything too much.

Install new seal

Watch it leak instantly

Those seals always on these cars are always bad. Just check fluid frequently so you don't get any surprises.

Edited by RustyRuu