LegacyGT.com

Stop Slip for an Automatic

The 09 Legacy sedan I purchased, I assume, did not have regular fluid maintenance because my oil change looked like chocolate syrup.

I found when letting off the gas, the gears weren't smoothly shifting as they should.

Example, when I'm going about 40-45 down a hill and i lightly have my foot on the gas to keep momentum(my commute to work is hilly, maybe this is why, but it does the same "motion" when im going on a straight-away).

I did a transmission drain(not a flush) back in July and it helped some, but now I see I'm dealing with the same situation. It's gotten cold out from living in New England. Maybe this is the reason, but I don't quite know and would like some insight if I may. When doing the flush, the fluid was veeery dark and not a nice bright red. I filled her up with about 3 quarts of Royal Purple and a 4th qt of Lucas Stop Slip.

My main inquiry was about doing another drain, but should I use another bottle of stop slip in doing so? Or only straight Royal Purp(my preference)? Sorry for the dumb question. My father is a backyard mechanic but I wanted to get another opinion as well before spending the money and time in doing this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I haven’t tried stop slip before. It doesn’t sound like your transmission is slipping. Keep in mind when you drain the transmission there’s a lot of fluid left over inside it does not come out. People have different opinions on doing a drain versus a flush. Personally, I found a shop that uses BG products and had the transmission flushed. It was night and day for me and worth $125 it cost. I think a lot of the arguments against flushing was due to the fluid being pushed back through the transmission and things getting clogged. There is also a transmission filter that should be changed if the fluid looked that bad. Just my thoughts, hopefully somebody else chips in. If it was me I would do a flush at a shop that uses BG products.

Also, do all the fluids if you don’t know when they were done last. Worth every penny for longevity.

Yeah, change the fluid at least 3x times if you are doing a drain and refill. That gets it like 80%+ renewed. One drain/fill is not enough to make a big difference. I would not use the stop slip additive. If it still slips then it needs a rebuild or replacement. These are not that expensive at a salvage yard.

Yeah, change the fluid at least 3x times if you are doing a drain and refill. That gets it like 80%+ renewed. One drain/fill is not enough to make a big difference. I would not use the stop slip additive. If it still slips then it needs a rebuild or replacement. These are not that expensive at a salvage yard.

Thank you for the advice, dude. My dad has said it's just the overdrive is what is happening. If that makes sense and sounds normal, then I should be fine doing the drain 3 more times. We added a singular bottle of stop slip initially back in July. I appreciate the reply !

I haven’t tried stop slip before. It doesn’t sound like your transmission is slipping. Keep in mind when you drain the transmission there’s a lot of fluid left over inside it does not come out. People have different opinions on doing a drain versus a flush. Personally, I found a shop that uses BG products and had the transmission flushed. It was night and day for me and worth $125 it cost. I think a lot of the arguments against flushing was due to the fluid being pushed back through the transmission and things getting clogged. There is also a transmission filter that should be changed if the fluid looked that bad. Just my thoughts, hopefully somebody else chips in. If it was me I would do a flush at a shop that uses BG products.

Also, do all the fluids if you don’t know when they were done last. Worth every penny for longevity.

Thank you! I look forward to getting every mile I can outta my baby.