LegacyGT.com

what r u using to dry the legacy?

phuzaxeman

• 4 weeks later...
A friend turned me on to these, but they work GREAT: bath floor towels. Not floor mats, these are just the small 100% cotton towels like they have at hotels. Bought mine at Meijer, and they are the perfect size, and - because they are thicker than a regular towel - they are much more absorbant.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

That's why you dry your car w/ the chamois (you will not scratch your car, as are those who use "100% Cotton towel") THEN you apply the wax, and wipe off with a VERY soft cloth (but be very careful on your choice).

When I wash my car, and dry it, I generally accept the fact that some if not all of the wax previously applied to the car is either off the car, or now only in certain places on the car...therefore, I wax her again...

If you are using something abrasive enough to remove wax when you dry then you probably have bigger concerns than needing to rewax. Any drying towel that is designed to dry cars isn't going to remove your wax. Unless you use some really cheap wax that wears off when you wash it then you are fine.

Compare these 'genuine chamois' against a waffle weave towel or an Absorber and the chamois doesn't stand a chance. Shammys are great and all, but they are old school. There are much better tools available now that actually dry the car and don't just drag water everywhere.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

If you are using something abrasive enough to remove wax when you dry then you probably have bigger concerns than needing to rewax. Any drying towel that is designed to dry cars isn't going to remove your wax. Unless you use some really cheap wax that wears off when you wash it then you are fine.

Compare these 'genuine chamois' against a waffle weave towel or an Absorber and the chamois doesn't stand a chance. Shammys are great and all, but they are old school. There are much better tools available now that actually dry the car and don't just drag water everywhere.

Do those scratch the car? Or put swirls in the paint?

anything can scratch the car if it isn't soft enough or if it has dirt trapped in it. I've never really noticed any additional scratches from a chamois. I don't use them because they don't dry the car very well compared to a waffle weave or an absorber. Still... any tool is only as safe as the person using it. You can scratch a car with anything if you want to. Just make sure the car is actually clean before you dry it and you won't have to worry so hard. Chamois that are made to dry cars aren't nearly as dangerous to your paint as a big beach towel or bath towel is.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

mother nature....I use the Mr. Clean

I agree! That thing is really works. At first I was skeptical and sat around mopping up the water that seems to show up around the rack rails, mirrors, rear hatch etc. Then one day I left alone and like magic there were NO spots. I still plan to use a bucket and mitt for the wash but for a final rinse Mr. Clean is the winner.

i've used the mr. clean auto dry, but it seems like it is for a place with no dirt flying around. i've left it out and it spotted the car not because of the water, but because of dirt and dust flying on the car contaminating the water left over. it didn't leave as many spots due to the deionized water, but the ones that were left are pretty bad looking. luckily it came off.

not saying that it doesn't work. should be perfect only if you were in a place without dust.

Archived