LegacyGT.com

Tips for keeping the bumper tight

Given how often we have to remove our bumpers if you haven't upgraded to lights that last longer than 6 months or have baby arms that can change a bulb through the fender liner, how does one keep the bumper sitting flush and prevent this from happening? I swear I get it lined up with the precision of a swiss watch maker, but after an hour or so of the bumper being back, it typically looks like this...

qPo9y2R.jpg

pretty funny - my bumper does that - it started after having some work done years ago where they had sort of folded one of the tabs - I tried moving the bracket up a bit, and that helped, but it still pops out a bit - my thought was that the tabs on the bumper were worn, rather than the bracket itself... I had been thinking I might try a dab of silicone in there at some point, but haven't had a chance to try that just yet.

Mine did that on both sides - one worse than the other. I ended up replacing the bumper skin because I tore it on some ice and I replaced the brackets at the same time. It still did it. It took so long to get all the little tabs lined up right, and I took my time and didn't break or bend any.

It was so frustrating.

My ‘12 2.5i Legacy had that issue the 1st time I removed it. I was constantly pushing it in. The 2nd and 3rd time, it fit perfectly. My ‘12 lines up.

I would look objectively to see if the cover or bracket are worn. I have heard the brackets eventually wear out.

I am not there with the Legacy (yet), but in my other cars that did that, it was the bracket.

On one car that I didnt feel like spending for a new bracket, a bodyshop guy put some silicone in the bracket, pushed the bumper into place, and taped the bumper to the fender. He told me to leave it like that for 24 hours. Viola, no more popping out and it's holding up so far.