LegacyGT.com

Koni rear adjustments

I've been rocking Konis with H&R springs on my '09 Outback for under a week but results are very favorable.

I'm wondering how folks have gone about reaching the adjusters in the rear. In my 2012 Legacy the upper strut mount was under the floor. I cut a small hole in the trunk carpet and was able to easily reach them.

In my '09, the upper mounts are closer to the wheel wells, and from above they're more under the side trim than they are under the floor. Getting the adjusters in there is a real pain.

Anybody got a (hopefully cheap/easy) solution?

I was going to go this route but haven't gotten to making it yet. I've already drilled small holes in the rear cargo area for easy access and just use some interior panel retainer clips to cover the holes.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/koni-sport-diy-extended-adjuster/62936/page1/

I ran across this in my searching. I've got so many Koni plastic adjusters around here I could easily spare one haha.

Any chance you have a pic of where you cut the hole you mentioned?

Having seen that link, could you just buy some heavy wall. say 1/4" tubing squeeze one end so it fits over the adjuster in the shock. You can even bend a right angle in the other end to use as a handle ? Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I ran across this in my searching. I've got so many Koni plastic adjusters around here I could easily spare one haha.

Any chance you have a pic of where you cut the hole you mentioned?

Yea, I can grab one later today after work and upload it.

Max - I don't see why you couldn't do that. Seems like there could be plenty of variations to get to the same end result.

Having see that link, could you just buy some heavy wall. say 1/4" tubing squeeze one end so it fits over the adjuster in the shock. You can even bend a right angle in the other end to use as a handle ?

I did exactly this. On my other car, there is a strut tower bar obscuring access to the top adjustment. So I just used a small tube, I don't know what size, but I believe it was more than 1/4". Maybe 1/2"? But I squeezed one end in a vice, and bent the other end into a right angle so I could turn it. Works great!

• 7 months later...

Back from the dead!

I (finally!) built a tool using a cut-up Koni adjuster and 8" of 1/2" conduit like the GRM thread suggested. It works perfectly, and I found that I could use the tool itself to wedge the interior trim aside (while kneeling in the back of my wagon) to get to the adjusters, so at least for now I'm not even going to drill holes in the panel.

Thanks for all input.

Please post a pic where you drilled the hole for the wagon Rittmeister

Maybe I wasn't clear. I didn't drill a hole. I used the tool itself to push the trim aside and get onto the adjuster.

See DoctorDaveLGT's pic for where he put the hole.