LegacyGT.com

Recommend rear spacer thickness

I'm on the verge of lowering my '09 Outback on Legacy-spec Konis and H&R Sport springs. After searching, I'm seeing two popular sizes of saggy butt spacer to use on this setup - 3/8" and 1/2". I'm hoping for a pretty level static ride though I'd tolerate the tiniest bit of front rake, as this is the family road-trip vehicle (in addition to being my DD) and gets loaded down a couple times a year, so I don't want the back end dragging...

I am currently running stock OB wheels and tires; I may go to 18" 2011 STI wheels (with lug adapters for the bolt pattern obvs) someday, so if that factors in that'd be helpful too - though everything I can find so far doesn't make me think that matters much.

I'd be grateful for the current thinking on which spacer to get. Thanks for looking!

Here is my car with the exact suspension setup you talk about with 3/8" spacers on the rear. 3/8" is fine and 1/2 would look funky to me. 1/4" would have a more even rake with these springs on the Legacy.

I wouldn't do hub adapters. Subarus already eat through wheel bearings absurdly quickly. No reason to put more weight on the hub + heavier wheels. The Enkei TSR6 look exactly the same and can be had in 5*100.

Here is my car with the exact suspension setup you talk about with 3/8" spacers on the rear. 3/8" is fine and 1/2 would look funky to me. 1/4" would have a more even rake with these springs on the Legacy.

I wouldn't do hub adapters. Subarus already eat through wheel bearings absurdly quickly. No reason to put more weight on the hub + heavier wheels. The Enkei TSR6 look exactly the same and can be had in 5*100.

If you posted a pic, I can't see it :(

Not sure I agree on the TSR6 - it has 6 split spokes where the STI wheels have 7. The Rota Special Stage is a closer match (and is under consideration). Thanks for the thought though.

I somewhat agree on the hub adapter issue, but I'm not sure a 15mm adapter would introduce too much more wear in the long run. The cost of the whole setup will probably be the thing that kills the idea for me.

Thanks for the rec on the 3/8" spacers, that's where I was leaning. I'd be curious to see your picture if you have the time.

If you posted a pic, I can't see it :(

Not sure I agree on the TSR6 - it has 6 split spokes where the STI wheels have 7. The Rota Special Stage is a closer match (and is under consideration). Thanks for the thought though.

I somewhat agree on the hub adapter issue, but I'm not sure a 15mm adapter would introduce too much more wear in the long run. The cost of the whole setup will probably be the thing that kills the idea for me.

Thanks for the rec on the 3/8" spacers, that's where I was leaning. I'd be curious to see your picture if you have the time.

Ah shoot, my bad. Forum's uploader is kind of a pain. Here is my car. Tires are 215/45R17 with 7.5" wide wheels.

rsz_img_4434.thumb.png.91b001e7bb6550e7abd77b56b3b03197.png

rsz_img_7407.thumb.png.f3ca1288636b3a60936e057c6d4ec7f7.png

rsz_img_7401.thumb.png.3b1725b9f85c963a4c4471af258d1061.png

The hub adapter does add a lot of weight to the wheel hub man. My car went through all four wheel bearings having had spacers on it for maybe 30K miles from the previous owner and it had just had two of them replaced at 150K, so maybe a few thousand before him. If you add wheels that are heavier than factory on top of that, it's even worse. Car has 214K and has had 7 wheel bearing replacements in its life from what I can tell.

As for wheels, I must have missed that, but I promise you that, within a few hours of browsing Fitment Industries, you would be able to find a wheel that works for you on 5*100.

Here' mine with Koni yellows and Epic springs with the 3/8" spacer. see post 106 here, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-annual-group-buy-epic-springs-05-09-lgt-212865p3.html

DSCN7142.thumb.JPG.57cff2bd61e5977bea2b229d8c27b114.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the pics guys. Nice. Looks like 3/8" is definitely what I need.

I don't want to get too far in the weeds but... I hadn't considered wheel spacers/adapters in terms of weight. My take on them was always that the substantial change in offset put more flex/leverage/whatever on the hub, causing the wear - but the weight might be the factor instead. Interesting thought, is all I'm saying.

As I said earlier, I think cost will be the ultimate factor that decides me against those STi wheels though, I just won't be able to justify it for my DD Dadwagon ;)

You're moving weight outwards from the hub, hence the accelerated wear caused by spacers. It might be the same as a wheel being offset further from the hub. You can run them if you like, just my advice that you don't. Obviously I should disclaim that I'm not an engineer or anything like that, just relaying my experiences with spacers. My wheels are +40 offset and I haven't had issues with bearings going out since I got rid of the spacers. Edited by Pleides