LegacyGT.com

2013 Legacy CVT or Diff issue

I just picked up a 2013 2.5I Legacy Premium knowing it had some possible transmission issues. I'm hearing a bearing or grinding noise when in gear and driving and not at idle. Put the car up on jack stands and put her in drive and can only hear it when the wheels are spinning. Had my wife get in the car and give it a little gas and hold it steady and the noise was very audible. Tried using a stethoscope but it was still hard to pinpoint. I was hoping for a bad wheel bearing or axle (162,000) but it sounds like it's coming from the torque converter area, near the valve body, or maybe the front differential area. Loosened the diff check hex plug and nice fluid comes out. Loosened CVT fill plug (left side of CVT) and fluid came out....a little brown. What do you guys think?

If the fluid looks dirty then that probably means it wasn't changed much, if ever. These CVTs don't have the greatest lifespan, especially at 162,000 miles.

I believe the fluid had been changed before. Don't know if more than once though.

Front differential failure don't seem that common. With 162k miles, I would be not surprised if the CVT fluid was brown.

Does your car have matching tread depth (within 1/16") across all 4 tires?

New Cooper tires all the way around, I believe just recently, by the prior owner

I took it out for a spin yesterday despite the noise and she runs through the gears just fine. I had noticed a shudder on take-off a few times. Didn't seem normal and I did have a check engine light come on....in fact, three of them, all transmission related. When looking at the fuse panel in the engine bay I did notice that a 10 amp cvt fuse was missing so added one.

I took it out for a spin yesterday despite the noise and she runs through the gears just fine. I had noticed a shudder on take-off a few times. Didn't seem normal and I did have a check engine light come on....in fact' date=' three of them, all transmission related. When looking at the fuse panel in the engine bay I did notice that a 10 amp cvt fuse was missing so added one.[/quote']

CVTs don't have gears. You should have the codes read so you know what the car thinks is wrong.

Hi, I had a very similar issue to yours. Turned out there is a bearing (in the housing somewhere around the torque converter) which goes bad, and had gone bad on mine. The bearing can also then eat at the housing which lends to a more expensive repair. I had both the bearing and the housing repaired on mine and the car is fine now, well, in that regard. I went through quite a bit of water last Tuesday and now my EPS motor seems to have gone... no power steering. Well...

But ask your mechanic to check on that particular bearing as this was my issue.

2013 Legacy wagon with Eyesight (Jamaica)

had 102k when it started

I sold mine with 94,500 miles on it because I knew the extended warranty was up until 100k miles. I noticed that the CVT was a bit rough when it was freezing outside and would shutter a tiny bit when coming to a complete stop.

• 3 weeks later...
Because I got the car, clean title and all, for only $800, I went ahead and bought a used CVT with 32k miles for $1700 and paid a shop $700 for the install. The mechanic said that all the sound was coming from the tail section of the CVT. Everything sounds and works great now. Had it smogged and got her registered. Now I will be tackling the coolant tube o-rings this weekend.