LegacyGT.com

Cracked Cylinder Head Boss Guide

Recently had some GSC Power Division Stopper Style guides pressed in my cylinder head, and the shop that did the job cracked 8 of 16 valve boss guides. I've counted about 12 fractures and uploaded a sample. Its clear to me they did not heat up the cylinder or freeze the guides before pressing or air-hammering them in. The shop is saying that their guy who installs these says its okay to run because he sees this kind of stuff all the time. I'm like "wtf?!!! That makes no sense". What happens when the heads heat up from normal driving? Heaven forbid me hitting the rev limiter. I contend that those cracks will just continue to grow. Am I wrong? I am not about to take any chances with one of these fragments breaking off and damaging the head. Not sure what to do at this point, the shop still has the head trying to figure it out on their end, but now I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this in the past, or is currently in my situation. Also, how did you remedy it.

20201007_213436.thumb.jpg.be72d2c8b5027ff0ac20f7e8021ecfb9.jpg

I had a machine shop F up a set of heads. got my money back and had to buy new heads. I trashed them on every social media site for whatever good that did.

saving a couple bucks at joe-bobs bait, tackle and machining just isnt worth it.

Id talk to the manager and see what they'll do. If they are reputable they'll make you whole, if not; cancel the transaction on your credit card. Get all your parts back and take your business elsewhere

... The shop is saying that their guy who installs these says its okay to run because he sees this kind of stuff all the time. ...

I'm sure he does, probably every time he tries to install them...

That stinks, sorry you have to go through this. Hopefully the management will own up to it. (And someone will get some training on how to actually do it.)

OMG I would be LIVID if someone told me that after performing a crap job like this on my car. It would be completely sketch on a mellow driven granny car but on on a car that’s presumably going to be pushed? You gotta be kidding me...

Uh no, those are junk. Those cracks won’t stop

Edit: I take that back, I looks like it’s bored and a cylinder is pressed into the head then the guide is pressed into that. The cylinder is cracked so the cracks probably won’t spread any further but I bet they’d leak and be prone to further fracturing

Edited by blackobxt

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm doing what I can to not go chernobyl. I will talk with the manager/owner of the shop today and see what he proposes. No way in hell am I installing these. I'll ask for my money back for install, the cost of the guides, and cost to replace the heads. What makes me even more upset is when I initially spoke with the owner he said in 20 years he's never seen anything like this, but when I got a call from them on Tuesday 10/6, they have the balls to tell me they see this all the time and install them on cars like that. Bullish!t!

More on this issue later.

Okay, so I finally got things squared away today. After a little back and forth with the shop, they decided to get me some replacement heads. Picking those up tomorrow. They refunded me all that I spent, and was overall, very professional about the whole thing.

Again, thanks to all contributors on this post. Your knowledge and guidance are bar none, and I was able to make the right decision based on your individual input.

Z!