LegacyGT.com

Compression test numbers (low but consistent)

Cyl1:101

Cyl2:103

Cyl3:105

Cyl4:102

Wet they are all in the low 160’s. This points to ringland failure

These numbers are quite low. Measured after idling at 185 degrees.

My question: This is the stock motor with 162,000 miles. Runs amazing tuned on 19psi and 93. Uses about a quart every 1000 miles and has blowby but not smokey blow by. Just a decent out of air coming out of the fill tube. Is this overly concerning?

Car has been burning oil at this rate since I bought it 22,000 miles ago. Should I be looking at new shortblocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wet vs dry numbers simply point to worn ring seal, not necessarily blown ringlands.

Mine has been using oil at that rate for the past 80k miles of ownership. She's gettin mighty close to 200k.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to compression tests results and the absolute numbers.

$.02

The wet vs dry numbers simply point to worn ring seal, not necessarily blown ringlands.

Mine has been using oil at that rate for the past 80k miles of ownership. She's gettin mighty close to 200k.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to compression tests results and the absolute numbers.

$.02

That’s what I’m thinking. It runs great still so I’m not super worried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you do the compression with the throttle open?

If air is pushing out the crank case and it is burning that much oil, it is likely worn rings or stuck oil rings. I would start working on a plan on what do with your car or replacing the motor.

You have options and time,

Over the Winter save more money, make a plan for what your going to do in Spring time.

Next Spring order a new ej257 from Subaru and engine gasket set for your year car. Next April start the process of replacing the short block.

See my click here link in my sig.

or just keep driving it and adding oil as needed, how long do you plan to keep the car ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

My car was burning a quart every 500 miles before my rebuild. My valve stem seals and piston rings both were worn, but the rings didn't fail catastrophically. Maybe check your turbo?

Those numbers might seem low, but different gauges read differently and turbo cars read low. A leakdown test is a much more definitive test.