LegacyGT.com

97Outback DOHC no starter when hot.

Hi Guys, newbie here. First post. I have had a problem getting the cars starter to start the car when I drive and shut it off. This is only when its about 85 or higher. Been all over YOUTUBE for it. New starter 1 year old. Runs 112,000 miles great. Garage kept, original owner. No engine codes showing. When I use a remote starter on it it starts right up. I would love to talk to someone who has had this problem and has had it corrected. It's not the starter or solenoid.

Thanks gents.

I had a hot only starting problem a while back that was not the starter. The positive battery cable was corroded back inside the wire about an inch from the connector. This same idea would also apply to the negative battery cable and the various grounds from the engine and trans to the body/frame.

Also, I did have a parts store starter that only lasted about 1 year. Not all parts stores sell the same quality parts.

Then it's time to check neutral switch.

If it's a manual then there shall be a switch on the clutch. On an automatic there might also be a switch on the brake pedal. Both in addition to neutral switch.

On the manual gearbox vehicles there's also a starter interlock relay located under the dashboard.

The ignition lock can also be faulty.

Look here: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/1997/Service%20Manual/WIRING%20DIAGRAM%20SECTION/WIRING%20DIAGRAM/

So just continue to dig.

453747.png