LegacyGT.com

Map Lights on with Dome light Mod

There are two fuse boxes, the one to the left of the steering wheel and the one under the hood. The covers have labels for what each fuse is, you should look for the "dome light" fuse. If you don't have something to test it, just pull it out and see if the connection is blown.

well i have a basic understanding of electrical systems and know how to pull apart my car and put it back together, but i Dont know the Specific dome light circuit. Figured if you knew enough to mod it you might know what I did. If not, ill look at it tomorrow and fix it myself

There are two fuse boxes, the one to the left of the steering wheel and the one under the hood. The covers have labels for what each fuse is, you should look for the "dome light" fuse. If you don't have something to test it, just pull it out and see if the connection is blown.

There is no dome fuse. There Are a couple of light ones, Like ILM 15A, but all the ones that seemed illumination based were all fine. pulled the wires from the dome light and undid them incase there was a short, but no, still no off w/ doors. The light is less bright on that mode, but still doesnt turn off...

HHMmmmm

• 1 month later...
I don't know if any one's pointed this out but you guys must have influenced Subaru. In the 08 we just got the map lights come on with the dome light and then fade to black together. Now how about getting those windows to power up and down with one button click?! :lol:

Just got word from my scoobie dealer, itll be 70$ to replace whatever went thats keeping my dome light on. This is with the 100$ deductable. Hopefully that fixes it! I dont know if they are replacing the BIU or something else. Ill know on thursday

Then maybe ill re-attempt this at a later time...

apprently that part didnt fix it, now they need to replace the BIU :p

They want 700$ - Damn it, I thought doing it my way was going to be SAFER

Is there a way to fix the BIU? Can you get a used one? 700$ for a dome light is a bit silly

• 4 weeks later...
gah. so i ordered leds from autolumination.com

instead of sending me the 31mm bulbs that I ordered, they sent 39mm ones. Are these people going to be trouble dealing with trying to get the right ones? any advice?

I wouldn't be too concerned about a straight up return, although I returned a dome light that was too large. When I sent it back, they claimed it was damaged and wouldn't give me full credit to another bulb. They also sent an extra map light that I didn't order and I sent that back with the dome light. They still wouldn't give me the benefit of the doubt that the dome light may have been defective.

so... they sent me a 36 LED light instead of a 25 even though I ordered the 25.. whatever. I was determined to make it fit!

http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/25307/2511931780090682233S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/23518/2538836760090682233S600x600Q85.jpg

i bent the prongs backward and above the housing the the actual 36 LED cluster could fit in its place... which it did! so. other than shoving the screwdriver under my fingernail, it was a success

http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/25302/2725405600090682233S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/22171/2237424970090682233S600x600Q85.jpg

• 1 month later...

I did this mod last weekend and have been extremely pleased. Why doesn't it come from the factory like this.

Anyway, I used butt crimp connectors for everything - no soldering anywhere. I crimped one of the diodes (grey ring end) to a second diode (grey ring end) and a length of wire. I crimped a 3" or so length of wire to the other ends of the diodes after clipping the pigtail short. I then fitted and cut the ends to length on the light and stripped back the end about 1/4" on each. I fanned out the wires (multi strand) and pried up the 'blade' on the runner from the light switch and slipped the fanned out wire under the 'blade' between the plastic beneath it; both sides. I pulled the 20A fuse (thanks to the head's up from all about the 'hot at all times' nature of the plug) and switched the orientation of the wires in the plug by using a small jeweler's screwdriver and pressing down the 'tang' on the plug inside to release the wire and socket from the plug. Put them back in reversed, put in the fuse.

Threaded the wire around the sun roof as others have indicated. Located the center wire on the plug of the dome light and then skinned back 1/4" of the wire pulled from the front and shoved it into the back of the socket on the middle wire. Used a small zip tie to hold it to the wire bundle.

It's been a week and everything is working like a charm. I wouldn't delay again. Took about 20 minutes.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this DIY.

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.