LegacyGT.com

Map Lights on with Dome light Mod

How does one find those bulbs on their site? How did you find them in the first place and know they were good replacements? Their "Automotive Lighting Lamp Replacement Guide" takes you to a Sylvania site and its search results didn't list the bulbs you used.

From the Sylvania bulb guide (or Deer Killer's bulb guide sticky) we find that the dome and map light bulbs are DE3175 and the step/courtesy are DE3021. Autolumination's cross reference chart indicates their 3022 festoon dome bulbs for both of those applications. You'll find what you're looking for on their festoon bulb page. Use the 31mm bulbs.

How did I find Autolumination? Just surfing and comparing prices & shipping charges.

From the Sylvania bulb guide (or Deer Killer's bulb guide sticky) we find that the dome and map light bulbs are DE3175 and the step/courtesy are DE3021. Autolumination's cross reference chart indicates their 3022 festoon dome bulbs for both of those applications. You'll find what you're looking for on their festoon bulb page. Use the 31mm bulbs.
Thanks! That's quite a process. One more question...

- Why did you select the 31mm "6 LED Super High Flux" festoon bulbs for the map lights and the 31mm "12 LED Two-Face" festoon bulbs for the dome and map lights?

- Why did you select the 31mm "6 LED Super High Flux" festoon bulbs for the map lights and the 31mm "12 LED Two-Face" festoon bulbs for the dome and map lights?

it doesn't matter. choose whatever floats your boat. the ones that he used for the two reading lights are just six LEDs, while the one in hte dome light is the same thing but 6 LEDs on each of its two sides. Not to waste light, the mounted the 12 LED two-face sideways so it is vertical, illuminating more of the car

Originally I had the single Super High Flex in the map lights and then they came out with the 6 LED version so I upgraded to those. The map light lens is blacked out except for the two small openings to direct light down keeping it out of your eyes. The multiple LED bulbs result in brighter lighting for the front seats over the single LED version.

For courtesy/puddle lights in the doors the two-sided bulbs offer lots of light directly out the lens and also fill out the rest of the lens with indirect light by reflecting off the inside of the housing.

This didn't work so well in the dome light. There's an opening in the housing above the bulb to allow ventilation for the incandescent bulb so instead of light from the other side of the LED bulb filling out the lens it just go to illuminating the inside of your headliner. I just rotated the bulb so that the LEDs face left and right instead of up and down.

• 4 weeks later...
Upgraded my 12 LED dome to a 25 LED array to really light up the interior, especially with LEDs in the map lights and the map light-dome light mod.

your killing me i can't keep up with you slow down brother :lol: btw i went to their site to much stuff to look at do you have part numbers and price? how was install wonder how these compare to fastwrx's. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

your killing me i can't keep up with you slow down brother :lol: btw i went to their site to much stuff to look at do you have part numbers and price? how was install wonder how these compare to fastwrx's. bosco

I'm trying to limit mods to the inexpensive ones for now (and install the ones I already bought but don't have on the car yet) as I save up for the IPT 5eat valve body upgrade...then I'll be ready for W.I. :icon_chee

The autolumination web site isn't the easiest to navigate. Here's what I currently have in the cabin:

Start HERE, then scroll down to 6 LED Super High Flux for the map light bulbs ($9.99 x 2). Next, scroll to 12 LED Two-Face for what I'm using in the front door puddle lights ($11.99 x 2). Finally, scroll to 25 led High Powered SMT Array for the dome light ($24.99). Use the 31mm size for all of them. Total would be $74 for all 5 of them shipped.

It looks like the fastwrx dome light has a plastic piece you install inside the lens to position the LEDs. I just used a piece of foam tape behind my LED array and used a small flat blade screwdriver to get position it exactly where I wanted it as I snapped the plastic lens back in place. The foam keeps the LED board pressed against the inside of the lens with some light pressure so it doesn't move.

TRS: Do you think the 36 array fixture above the SMT array for $10 bucks less is worth it?

It's the same dimensions so fit would be no problem, and I'd think it puts out quite at bit of light.

• 2 weeks later...

TRS, you just made this mod better:) Thanks for the tips on getting the LEDs crammed in, they were tight, but managed to get them in. Ended up getting the 6 LED Super Flux all around including the dome. All the lights are noticably brighter. Also got a High Flux 921 i think for my rear cargo in my wagon.

Thanx again!

• 2 months later...
6. Now this sounds odd, but just do it. Reverse the wires.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/mwiener2/DomeLight010.jpg

OK so I just did this mod except I forget to switch the wires :eek: . So I went back and switched the wires and now the lights come on with the switch but not when I open the door!!!! Does anyone know what I might have done or how to fix it?:confused:

TRS: Do you think the 36 array fixture above the SMT array for $10 bucks less is worth it?

Well, the 36 array didn't fit, so I sent it back in exchange for the 25 SMT array. I don't hear anything, so when I inquire, they said the array I sent back was damaged and implied that I did the damage. The best they'd do is split the difference with me.

Sucks.

Watch yourself with these people.

Do the map lights come on with their own switch...or with the dome light switch? Maybe you put the diodes in backwards.

each light comes on with their respective switch, just none turn on when the door is open or when I unlock the doors with the remote unless I turn it on by the switch.

I tried soldering the diodes directly to the contacts and screwed up one of the map light buttons. In the end, I just soldered a short piece of wire on the other end of the diodes and just tucked the stripped wire end under the copper contacts (remember to disconnect the 20 amp fuse before doing anything). It works fine except for the one switch not staying "clicked" if you go to use the map light when the door is closed.

I fee stupid for screwing up the map light switch, but at least to replace the whole assembly isn't too terrible: $87 from the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...