LegacyGT.com

EJ255 (OBXT) header suggestions

Hey all!

I need to do a full rehab on my exhaust system (salt car from the NE). Since they're not very many options for the OBXT cat back, I've been looking more at AVO Turboworld for other parts of the exhaust.

For headers, I've been looking at this unit:

https://avoturbo.com/exhaust-manifold-all-ej25-s2x00g3na001j/

It is an unequal length header that is ceramic coated and comes with a flex up pipe.

Can anyone give me thumbs up/down? That'll work, or avoid AVO like the plague? I like the fact that they ceramic coat their parts and everyone hates rusty exhausts.

My thoughts are that I will start at the front and replace the header and up pipe first, then the down pipe and cat back next. I also think I want the rumble, so I picked an unequal length header.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Why do you think you need headers ?

My 2005 GT wagon has 294,000 miles here in the NE and I don't have any issues with the manifold off the heads.

Most of us have issues from the Y pipe to the mufflers. The flanges at the mufflers tend to rust and get thin.

AVO is a good company that has been around for a long time.

Check post # 303 here, may be something there will work. https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p8.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good question. The ones that are on the car are pretty crusty, but the real reason is that I am in the process of "building" this car and I will be putting an up pipe on to help with longevity of this engine.

I'm not sure we could get the manifold separated from the stock up pipe and installed again. From everything I've read so far, it comes down to EL/UEL rumble vs no-rumble. I like the fact that the AVO stuff is ceramic coated.

Thanks for the reply! I did read your link and see the stuff that Summit offers.

2 bolts at the bottom where the up pipe meets the manifold. Three bolts hold the turbo on the up pipe, the other two bolts at the top are for the support bracket.

DSCN4697.thumb.JPG.9a353bd5f819f2c83b890d290c93c4fc.JPG

I bolt the turbo to the up pipe, I find it much easier when trying to line up the inlet, oil return hose and up pipe bolts at the same time.

DSCN4783.thumb.JPG.98525cbf5ad482f3c3dcc8a88199552e.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you’re staying stock’ish on power no need to go with a header. The gains on unequal length are minimal as well. Either go equal length, lose the rumble And see real gains or put a set of stock manifolds back on. Mine were so rusted out that I was able to get a barely used set from my tuner for $100. So many Wrx and STI guys swapping in headers that they had a pile of them.