LegacyGT.com

General Desirability of spec.Bs?

Just a discussion topic related to how desirable people see spec.Bs to be.

What would you do/not do to a spec.B?

Would you take a spec.B with rusty rear quarters and restore it?

Would you strip one down to make a race car?

Would you strip a running example as a donor car for another car? Say, to transplant parts into a wagon?

I'm not talking about the whole side of the hobby of installing jdm parts, or written off cars, where we don't really need to think about potentially desirable cars being cut up, but NA cars that are somewhat limited in availability, "special" etc.

I think we are getting close to the point where clean, stock spec.Bs with low mileage will bottom out in terms of market value, and possibly start to come up slightly. I'm not thinking to the point of it being an investment but perhaps to the point where people may oppose cutting up or parting out a running, driving car.

What do you all think?

What would you do/not do to a spec.B?

Everything/nothing

Would you take a spec.B with rusty rear quarters and restore it?

Yes if it was just the quarters and not the whole car/undercarriage

Would you strip one down to make a race car?

Maybe, but the kids wouldn't like that!

Would you strip a running example as a donor car for another car? Say, to transplant parts into a wagon?

I personally wouldn't, there are easier ways to do a 6speed swap. If the car was destroyed, thats different.

I purchased a Spec. B for all of these reasons. I am replacing everything, probably even going SG9 trans to get the mechanical front differential as well as the longer gears. Will sell my spec B trans as they hold good resale.

I wanted to have a piece of history, they are also worth a lot more insurance wise if something happens, and they sell for more with like mods all the time.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Marvick08GT

Which year Spec B ?

My 2009 is one of 112 made.

2008 had the largest # made.

2007 I think was around 450 made.

See the sticky up top.

My Spec B is still mostly stock just the Cobb AP custom tune, DP and Grimsspeed tmic and Q300 exhaust.

The car is a nice change from my GT wagon. The Spec is mainly a Saturday night car, out with the GF.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Which year Spec B ?

My 2009 is one of 112 made.

2008 had the largest # made.

2007 I think was around 450 made.

See the sticky up top.

My Spec B is still mostly stock just the Cobb AP custom tune, DP and Grimsspeed tmic and Q300 exhaust.

The car is a nice change from my GT wagon. The Spec is mainly a Saturday night car, out with the GF.

I’m partial to 2007s. I wouldn’t call them rare where I live. There are more of them around than manual wagon GTs. I think within a 3 hour drive there are 3 for sale right now but it took me over a year to find a manual wagon that wasn’t rusted out.

I’m also partial to good transmissions and enough head room. The spec.B has only one of those.

I’m also partial to saving money and a used engine and full 6 speed swap (Legacy, not sti or sg9) costs almost as much as I can buy the full car for. I would love an sg9 transmission for the same reasons as Marvick08GT but they seem relatively rare and decent condition sg9 STIs (jdm imports) are running about $15,000 cad around here right now.

Well recently got one, it not being rusted was what sealed the deal, I can fix mechanical issues myself but rust is being my skills.

I'm just upgrading/fixing stuff for now, the turbo needs to be replaced so a vf52 is going in, with that I wanted to replace the intercooler and inlet hose because the tuner recommended it.

I plan to do reliability mods from here on out and once the pandemic has passed, I want to put some nice tires and wheels on it and take it to a race track.

The only reason I went with a spec b over a standard gt is the 6 speed. I hated driving my previous wrx and lgt constantly thinking that I could break the 5 speed, it feels nice that it isn't the week spot anymore.

So far it isn't looking good Legacy GT Sedan or Spec.b to be collectible.

If you were looking to preserve a Legacy Spec.B for a potential investment, buy the nicest one you can afford. In general low mile, clean, stock, rust free bring top dollar for collectible vehicles.

Any mods needs too be reversible. Don't waste your time with rust or restoration projects at this point in time. Spec.B are going to have to go up a lot to be worth restoring.

If you are going to strip a $10k Spec.b to make into a race car, it is your choice. I think there are better options for a race car, though.

If you are going to buy a $10K spec.b to complete your ultimate LGT Wagon, it is your choice. It probably isn't wisest financial choice to pu that much money into a LGT Wagon.