LegacyGT.com

Gt brakes to XT. Are the GT dust shields required

norutah

Yes I've researched, read posts, tried internet search etc. I see the part numbers are different but my question.

Are the GT dust shields required to swap the GT brakes to the XT?

2006 GT to 2005 XT.

Thanks and sorry I had to ask something that was likely covered in the past

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

The rear rotors are the same diameter so in theory they should be the same/compatible. The front rotors (if the xt has the smaller rotors like the 2.5i, I'm not well versed on the xt) are bigger on the gt so likely will require the larger dust shields.

Sorry I can't be more definitive then that. But I'm glad you brought it up as I have considered upgrading my fronts to the GT's and forgot about the dust shields.

If your asking if the swap will work without the shields, yes they will. Have run GT brakes for many moons without them
Thanks!! So it sounds like I can remove the front shields altogether and leave the rear

The rear rotors are the same diameter so in theory they should be the same/compatible. The front rotors (if the xt has the smaller rotors like the 2.5i, I'm not well versed on the xt) are bigger on the gt so likely will require the larger dust shields.

Sorry I can't be more definitive then that. But I'm glad you brought it up as I have considered upgrading my fronts to the GT's and forgot about the dust shields.

Thank you, confirms what I was thinking and the previous post Sunday up the front requirements

Alright, so far I have disassembled, blasted and powder coated the GT calipers and brackets in heavy silver.

Bought all new pistons and boots, sliding pin seal and boots.

Rotors were nearly new so I had them turned and I cleaned them and primed/painted the centers to try and cut down on corrosion until I replace them with DBA 4k.

Goodridge GT SS line kit.

Pads were nearly new, flat, and equal thickness. I might run them and put the money into new rotors/pads later.

Next I'll remove the front shields and start assembling the calipers. Oh yeah, I need to go buy new bleeders.

733fbde423dcc8f222cd72349370a926.jpgee519ef7c214b9d440bb50ae6620a78a.jpg9b1e567ec9c42132feb30f5ebe8f5657.jpgbeb8c8d901a9ac90e897722bbacf6675.jpg

Edited by norutah

Like the colour on the calipers.

Seeing as you are in the middle of this swap, could you provide any details to the questions in this thread: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-09-lgt-3-0r-ltd-vs-3-0r-rear-282410.html?t=282410

The main question is:

Is the front calipers actually different from the base model (or xt assuming again it has base model brakes as again I assume that's why you are swapping them) with the only actual difference the mounting bracket? Or is it an entirely different caliper?

Edited by nevets27

You should be good to go. Frankly, I never really understood the whole dust shield thing anyway. I took mine off when I started tracking the car in an attempt to get more fresh air to the rotor face. I didn’t see more (or less) dusting after I removed them. As luck would have it I was kicking myself for tossing them years later when I decided to Fab up brake ducts for the car. The dust shield is a good base to modify to attach a duct to. I’m now running dust shields again with about 90% of it removed. Just enough to provide a place to attach the duct hose. Also, to answer the question posted earlier about GT vs XT rear rotors, they are the same diameter, the GT rears are vented (so thicker) and the XT rears are not. Edited by shralp

Like the colour on the calipers.

Seeing as you are in the middle of this swap, could you provide any details to the questions in this thread: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-09-lgt-3-0r-ltd-vs-3-0r-rear-282410.html?t=282410

The main question is:

Is the front calipers actually different from the base model (or xt assuming again it has base model brakes as again I assume that's why you are swapping them) with the only actual difference the mounting bracket? Or is it an entirely different caliper?

Thanks, and yes. The GT front caliper and bracket are different and both are required for the swap.