LegacyGT.com

Emergency brake retrofit?

I don't want to get into a shouting match over what is or isn't an emergency brake or why I don't like the pushbutton brake or how you can hold the button down to stop the car. None of that is relevant to this discussion.

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm defining emergency brake as a brake you can use to stop the car in a controlled manner by modulating it, as in a handbrake.

I'm defining the push button brake system currently being used on the gen5 cars as a parking brake.

Now, here's the question.

Has anyone retrofitted a handbrake to a gen5 car?

Steve

I don't want to get into a shouting match over what is or isn't an emergency brake or why I don't like the pushbutton brake or how you can hold the button down to stop the car. None of that is relevant to this discussion.

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm defining emergency brake as a brake you can use to stop the car in a controlled manner by modulating it, as in a handbrake.

I'm defining the push button brake system currently being used on the gen5 cars as a parking brake.

Now, here's the question.

Has anyone retrofitted a handbrake to a gen5 car?

Steve

No, and if you are in an emergency you hold the button in to stop the car.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To date, I have not see a single 5th gen with a handbrake fitted. The problem is our parking brake is entirely electric and integrate into the rear brake hub. To run a handbrake, not only would you need to find space to mount the handle (of which there isn't much in the center console), run the hydraulic lines, and likely run a second rear caliper setup to the rear. Additionally, if you're thinking slides (which is exactly what I was lamenting when I first bought this car 4 years ago) you have to worry about damage to the rear diff if the handle is pulled while moving.

Is the button-brake dumb/stupid/annoying? Yes absolutely. Is a handbrake worth it? All in all, probably not.

Question: Does the electronic parking brake make a rear brake job any more complicated? I recently did the front brakes, but will need to do the rears soon. I'll probably replace the pads and rotors. Someone suggested that the rear brakes are a pain in the butt because of the parking brake, any insight on this is appreciated!

Question: Does the electronic parking brake make a rear brake job any more complicated? I recently did the front brakes, but will need to do the rears soon. I'll probably replace the pads and rotors. Someone suggested that the rear brakes are a pain in the butt because of the parking brake, any insight on this is appreciated!
Depends on whether you are changing the rotor or not. If you are just changing pads, then its the same method as the front brakes.

Depends on whether you are changing the rotor or not. If you are just changing pads, then its the same method as the front brakes.

What's different about the rotor, I would probably do both pads and rotors. Do I need any special tools or anything? Thanks.

The rear rotors are not that hard. They have parking drums inside, just make sure the E-Brake is off.

It is little more complicated if you do maintenance on the parking brake system. It requires Subaru's tool to recalibrated it.

What's different about the rotor, I would probably do both pads and rotors. Do I need any special tools or anything? Thanks.
The ebrake is housed inside the rotor, if you've got to change or adjust the ebrake pads you are supposed to recalibrate the tension via an SSM, dealer visit required.