LegacyGT.com

Glass Defects and Replacement Options

Just purchased a 2020 Legacy in March here in Toronto. Love the car (mostly) but got a rock chip on the lower left windscreen a couple of weeks ago that quickly turned into a 20 cm crack. The rock was not large and the chip was modest. I could hardly believe that it caused such a large crack so quickly. I had suspicions.

Doing some research, I discovered that there have been major problems with weak OEM acoustic glass and a class action lawsuit has been launched in the United States. My windscreen is manufactured by Carlex. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into issues with their late model Subaru auto glass and whether they can recommend a better replacement brand. I'm in for a 500.00 deductible and don't want this happening again if I can avoid it.

Do a little foot work and your questions are answered. You already know there's a class action going on so....

And no, Subaru says you must you an OEM replacement on Eyesite cars and I've never seen or heard of an aftermarket company that will put any sort of aftermarket windshield in an Eyesite car.

My 2016 is on it's third windshield, my wife's 2019 is on it's second. We had to change our insurance to 100% glass breakage coverage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When I bought mine in April, they told me the cars with eyesight have thinner glass so the cameras can actually do their job, that might be why the crack spread so quickly. I was fortunate and my dealership offered me free windshield replacement for 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And no, Subaru says you must you an OEM replacement on Eyesite cars and I've never seen or heard of an aftermarket company that will put any sort of aftermarket windshield in an Eyesite car.

Safelight will. I've got a 2019 and am on my 3rd windshield. First one cracked after having it for just over a month. Got it replaced with OEM and cracked again a year later. This time it was replaced with an aftermarket one. No issues at all with Eyesight. Jury is still out on if this one will be more durable than OEM, but it's at about 7 months so far.

• 7 months later...

My windshield glass spontaneously cracked just above the Driver's side Eyesight Camera while I was sitting in my driveway the other day. Over the course of several days, it has continued to spread, seemingly in random directions. One of the cracks now partially obstructs the line of sight of the Driver's side camera.

This is a leased vehicle. Pardon my ignorance, as I'm young and never had to do anything like this, but what steps do I take to invoke some kind of warranty? I'm positive that it was not caused by any rocks or debris as I was idling at 0 MPH. Do I start with a dealer, do I call Subaru, or do I call my insurance company?

Thanks!

Edited by Burning_Rivers
Adding info regarding cracked windshield.

My windshield glass spontaneously cracked just above the Driver's side Eyesight Camera while I was sitting in my driveway the other day. Over the course of several days, it has continued to spread, seemingly in random directions. One of the cracks now partially obstructs the line of sight of the Driver's side camera.

This is a leased vehicle. Pardon my ignorance, as I'm young and never had to do anything like this, but what steps do I take to invoke some kind of warranty? I'm positive that it was not caused by any rocks or debris as I was idling at 0 MPH. Do I start with a dealer, do I call Subaru, or do I call my insurance company?

Thanks!

From what I've read you usually start with the dealer and if they are not being helpful then you contact Subaru directly. That usually gets the ball rolling.

There are quite a few that got the windshield replaced at no cost.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk