LegacyGT.com

Injector/pump recommendations?

Hey guys, my GT burned a piston recently and I am having a new shortblock put in. I suspect the cause may have been a clogged/stuck injector from sitting for quite a while thanks to COVID.

When I initially had it tuned after I bought it with mods and no tune, the tuner said i needed bigger injectors and fuel pump but I couldn't afford it at the time so he did what he could to make a "safe" tune. it ran fine on that tune for several years so I doubt that was the cause of the burned piston but correct me if I am wrong in that assumption.

Since the engine is out and it is in the shop, I wanted to go ahead and get the fuel system taken care of. What i want to know is if these injectors:

https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/750cc-jecs-side-feed-fuel-injectors/

would be a good match for these mods:

Cobb CAI

Cobb 3 port BCS

Cobb SS Downpipe

Perrin turbo inlet

AVO TMIC

TR billet TD05-18G

For fuel pump, I was looking at a Walbro 255l/h, that should be ok, right?

I plan to get it tuned afterward, anyone know a good tuner in the Charlotte, NC area?

850's are about as big as you can go with sidefeed, but I've found them to be troublesome on mine- inconsistent fueling and poor idle so converting to top feed and 1050x's. Those seem to be the goto and would leave plenty of headroom for e85.

as for the pump, I have a dw65c and have had no problems with it, drop in install.

850's are about as big as you can go with sidefeed, but I've found them to be troublesome on mine- inconsistent fueling and poor idle so converting to top feed and 1050x's. Those seem to be the goto and would leave plenty of headroom for e85.

as for the pump, I have a dw65c and have had no problems with it, drop in install.

I would rather avoid having to convert to top feed if possible, and I am not really looking to run e85. I am not trying to max out this setup really, just trying to make sure it can make a safe power level without leaning out.

Find a tuner first and ask them. They'll tell you what mods you should and shouldn't use. For example, they'll most likely say:

You should use an AEM340 fuel pump.

You should use a topfeed injector conversion kit and ID1050X injectors.

I would rather avoid having to convert to top feed if possible, and I am not really looking to run e85. I am not trying to max out this setup really, just trying to make sure it can make a safe power level without leaning out.

+1 on talking to your tuner on what they recommend.

And totally understand you wanting to not overkill, just sharing my experience with larger sidefeeds, which sounds farily common. I tried to go the less expensive route with my fueling, but here I am a couple years later converting to top feed, plus the cost of the sidefeeds and a new tune. Wish I had just done that at the beginning. Would have saved me basically the cost of the TF conversion.

+1 on larger sidefeeds tending to be problematic, if there is any way you can go top feed you should try. You can run OEM top feed fuel rails if you like no need to get fancy with parallel fueling. There are better option than the Walbro 255 now. I’m running a DW 65c and the AEM is a good choice as well.