LegacyGT.com

Rev9 cheap intercooler

I'm looking to replace the stock intercooler, I'm not necessarily looking for better performance just one that doesn't leak.

I've been watching the classified and nothing really has come up in the last couple of weeks so I'm tempted to just get one of these cheap ebay intercoolers but I'm concerned that they aren't even as good as the stock ones.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Looks like a process west knockoff, which means engine bay fitment won't be so terrible on account of the hoses instead of hard bolting to the turbo. Not sure of the quality of those hoses, probably seal fine.

If you're looking for stock, keep in mind 2009-2013 WRX and forester intercoolers fit too. Check nasioc/craigslist for used units too.

Edit: Also...https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ma-05-lgt-oem-intercooler-283432.html

Edited by seanyb505

In my experience, replacing the throttle body hose with a silicone unit with more flex makes intercooler installs more forgiving.

You can always JB weld all the crimps on the stock intercooler, thats what I did and it ran 18psi just fine for years. Doesn't look pretty but it works.

In my experience, replacing the throttle body hose with a silicone unit with more flex makes intercooler installs more forgiving.

You can always JB weld all the crimps on the stock intercooler, thats what I did and it ran 18psi just fine for years. Doesn't look pretty but it works.

I just got the car and the turbo needs replacing, I've already checked the engine and that is healthy so I got a vf52 to replace it and although I'm not ready to go balls to the wall with over 18psi of boost.

I'm worried that with the new turbo and 150k miles will catch on to me and the intercooler won't hold. I could replace with another stock one which are cheap. I just figured if I can avoid the problem completely by going with an all metal solution, I won't have to have the car retuned in the future if the stocker lets go.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with these to say if they are a waste of money and time. 10 years ago I wouldn't consider it, but I've seen a couple of videos where ebay stuff were pretty good so that got me re considering.

I hope your tuned for that VF52 ?

IMO its a shame that someone would put a cheap knock-off tmic on a Spec B. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I can’t give you any efficiency or performance #s but I ran a Rev9 TMIC on my 05 wagon. was running it with a BNR 16g, turbo back (Cobb dp, HKS silent hi power cbe), GS boost controller, AEM intake and a tune. Was a pretty quick, fun DD. Fitment was pretty good, AITs stayed nice n low for what I used it for (regular driving no track or drag). I had BtSsm on a Nexus7 tablet for data monitoring too so I kept an eye on that stuff after install. If it’s for just a daily that you’re not looking to build a race car out of I’d say go for it. For the $ saved it worked well for me and replaced the leaky OEM TMIC nicely. I posted a thread on it and all the other parts I found for it to fit nicely (a mr gasket for the turbo side and an AVO silicone for the TB side). OEM engine cover even fit back on with a little trim. Not a bad piece at all imo on a budget

I hope your tuned for that VF52 ?

IMO its a shame that someone would put a cheap knock-off tmic on a Spec B. ;)

Nothing is installed yet, just getting parts together. The plan was to buy the car and hopefully not have anything to fix, but the turbo is on it's way out and it needs to be replaced, so the turner recommended I do turbo, inlet hose and intercooler.

It will serve family car duties for a year or two until we can get an outback and then the spec b can stretch it's legs. So even now I'll ask the tuner to go easy on the tune.

So Pulled the trigger on it, when I get it tuned, I'm going to ask them what they think of it and will post back if I can remember to do so.

Make sure you replace the oil return hose from the turbo too.

I bolt the turbo to the up pipe, I found it easier to line up the new inlet, new oil return and up pipe at the same time.

Use the OEM bolts that attach the up pipe support bracket to the block.

In my click here link, you can see photo's

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here