LegacyGT.com

Harmonic Balancer

Hello Everyone, Just want to tell you a little story here and ask something curious on what happen with my car lately. I was waiting with my Wife on the Parking while She’s doing groceries. Car is still running and the AC was working but hot air is blowing in the cabin. So I was thinking that there’s a problem with the AC and decided to check it at home since my place is not that far 2km away. When I’m about to start my car it did start but the Battery Light and Handbrake was lit and I just wonder why. So I turn off the car and start again, still started I didn’t bother to open the hood since my place is not that far so I decided to check it at home.

I drove it without AC and Power Steering luckily it didn’t overheat when I just found out at home that both of the drive belt were snapped. While I’m checking around what’s wrong with it since I change my timing belt 2 years ago without any problem here is the one problem that I saw on my harmonic balancer on what did actually happens to it??? Any ideas on this

64fd2ff76effded932934629016126fa.jpg

That center pulley has a center metal bit, and an outer metal ring. They are joined to eachother by solid rubber. This can help dampen rotational vibrations because the outer part can go faster or slower than the center for a tiny bit of a rotation. After enough time that rubber can fail and the outer part can rotate too far, or even come off as in your case. This jumps or breaks the belts that use the outer part as their drive pulley.

You should be able to get a replacement and some belts and be back in business, but be sure that the crank shaft nose is inspected for damage, and that the factory service procedure is followed to put the part back on so it doesn't come loose prematurely.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure there is a gauge and a spec listed in the factory service manual. I expect there is some good enough method as well. But I'm afraid I have no specific advice on either. I do the belts by feel and have for something like 40 years. I've never had a problem eating belts or the bearings in the driven items. Just tight enough not to slip is what I aim at and what I achieve. Too loose and the belt slips and squeals and that's bad for it over time. Too tight is bad for the belt causing the belt to disintegrate after some time and can also damage the bearings in the driven item. As an example, my current alternator is 25 years old and has 305,000 miles on it with not problems. Probably just jinxed myself, but I'm 100% confident that it will fail from a blown diode and not from the bearings.

tldr; don't know, do some google for how to tighten alternator v-belt.