LegacyGT.com

Mission Impossible: Case No. 127752

CRAZY KEN

Your mission, if you choose to take it, is to retrofit a H3 or another type of 55-65 watts foglight bulb into our reverse light housing. Our OEM reverse light bulb seems to be inefficient and needs immediate revision. Your computer will not self-destruct in 10 seconds, so think about it and reply back asap.

CRAZY KEN

http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?products_id=306&osCsid=96d90506ae821bceab701341b3be44db

Your mission, if you choose to take it, is to retrofit a H3 or another type of 55-65 watts foglight bulb into our reverse light housing. Our OEM reverse light bulb seems to be inefficient and needs immediate revision. Your computer will not self-destruct in 10 seconds, so think about it and reply back asap.

CRAZY KEN

Mr.350

$250 for HID reverse lights is a bit much. Actually, it's more like totally ridiculous, but to each his own
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

^ Surprisingly, most modern vehicles can handle this wattage increase OK....

There are a number of aftermarket "halogen high-power reverse bulbs" on the market today, designed for a number of different fitments. 50-Watt replacements are actually not uncommon, and are sold both on-line as well as at your local "AutoZoneAdvanceAutoWalMartPepBoys." :)

Typically, their instructions will caution you not to leave the vehicle in reverse (thus, with the lights energized) in excess of 30 seconds or so, and also will caution you that if you repeatedly blow-out your reverse-light fuse, then your wiring probably isn't capable of handling the extra power.

Honestly, I have yet to feel the need to look for such bulbs for my LGT - as with many of the members above, I, too, feel that our reverse-lights are sufficient for my needs. However, as with everything else, I can definitely understand that this is something that's necessarily of personal preference.....

I've yet to find any 921-fitment overwattage bulbs, though - so definitely, so far, this seems to require a custom base-mount and custom wiring.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yea i have a few ideas myself how about a LED flashlight bulbs dey take very low current and are nice and bright, just have to figure away to spread the beams to light the whole area instead of a penpoint beam.
Mr.350

The wagon members report no issues- including me.

Yet another reason why the wagon rules over the sedan.

I also put in replacement Eurolite Super-White Xenon's into my reverse lights and when I back up, I get better output than the headlights on my wife's '97 Altima!

Peter...hell swing on by my friend!!!

I work at 9301 Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring, MD (CTL Video Center) 301-585-6311 x 125!

Where are you at exactly?

CRAZY KEN

P.S. Just finished installing custom catback exhaust system and its sweet!!!

Yea i have a few ideas myself how about a LED flashlight bulbs dey take very low current and are nice and bright, just have to figure away to spread the beams to light the whole area instead of a penpoint beam.

The ones that are very bright usually also produce quite a bit of heat - you'll want to heat-sink such units.

Either high-domes or side-emitters should do you just fine in terms of spread, but these won't necessarily be cheap, and again, you'll need to heat-sink. Driving/regulating the stars may also be an issue. (Note that most current "tactical" LED flashlights, such as the SureFire L6 and high-output custom-built LED flashlights actually use a 9V input).

Also, you might need to custom-design reflectors/lenses to optimize spread and throw.

Actually, from what modest collection I have, I'd say that one star on each side would easily do you in terms of output, but it'll need to have a good heat-sink, and it'll need to have a properly designed reflector, or you're not going to get any improvement in your sightlines at all.

Try Candlepower Forums - the custom-makers there should be able to help you generate ideas, if not undertake the project for nominal cost. Keep in-mind that I truly left the flashlight hobby about a year ago, so even my suggestion for high-domes or side-emitters may no longer be accurate. But honestly, even though I've become so far removed from the cutting-edge of such technology, having recently visited my local Radio Shack for a shits-and-giggles project, I still do not see anything in their bins that would remotely come close to either the SureFires that I have, or, for that matter, my custom-built lights.

Currently, I would say that it would be both easier and cheaper, if you're looking for output, to either jury-rig an adaptor base for higher-wattage bulbs, or, alternatively, look to retrofit a fog light kit or one of those "truck/SUV reverse-light kits" for your needs.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Peter...hell swing on by my friend!!!

I work at 9301 Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring, MD (CTL Video Center) 301-585-6311 x 125!

Where are you at exactly?

CRAZY KEN

P.S. Just finished installing custom catback exhaust system and its sweet!!!

I'll swing by sometime!

Is that still in Wheaton or downtown? I live probablly 15 minutes tops from Wheaton. I'm working out at Rockville at one of the FDA buildings.

...UGLY!!!

The reverse light housing has nice reflectors and if I can stick a 55w to 75w bulb in there with no problems (i.e. burning my wires, etc.) then that is what I will do!!! ...and yes, I do need more light because I have 35% tint and I know some people that have 20% (cough...cough...Keefe-xenonk) that sees worse than me!!!

Thanks for all your input...I will update everyone on what I come up with!!!

CRAZY KEN

I'm going to pick up some wiring harnesses this weekend.

I agree with you Ken, looking outside of tinted windows makes it a bit harder. I don't have any on my car yet, but have a couple of friends that have, and it's def harder to see reverse lights through.

Archived