LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Sedan Vs Wagon... What are the differences?

BookemDano

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']My intial test drive was with the GT sedan and it handled great the wagon may have a little more push in corner just becuase the higher center of gravity but lowering the car a little and firming it up will make it handle just as well. Both cars handle well enough though that it wasn't a big deal to me, I got the car so I could hold surfboards in it and I didn't want anything slower then the other car so the wagon was the only option.[/quote] Correct. The wagon does have a bit more mid-corner push, something that I suspect can be improved with alignment and tire pressure (btw, the rear camber is not adjustable on the GTs. Further, there isn't any slop that can be jiggled in, because of the rear links setup, vs. the Impreza setup, where you could sometimes get a half-degree of extra camber by loosening, and pulling on the rear strut). But at initial turn-in, the wagon feels nicer. I think the mid-corner push is indeed because of the bit of extra weight up high, for the record. Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
GT wagons are more distinctive than the camry-ish GT sedan. ;) There I said it. Apart for the lack of folding seats, the GT sedan is my prefered choice. Had a courtesy Legacy Wagon for a day a while back, though it wasn't the latest gen (was the previous gen), the amount of creaks and body flex deters me from even looking into a wagon of this size for any handling purposes. I guess the latest generation must've been a big improvement over the last. But if you need the space, you gotta get the wagon.

Wagons sometimes do better than sedans. Remember when the Volvo 850 first came out. Volvo ran the 850 wagon in the British Touring Car Series and won the championship the first year. What they found was the coeffiecient of drag was higher on the wagon than a wingless sedan. But it also produced less lift than the sedan. This allowed them to not run a huge drag inducing rear wing. Plus it made the other car companies look bad since they got beaten by a wagon.

Being the owner of a GT sedan and wagon, I can say there is not much difference at all. I cannot tell the wagon is heavier than sedan. From a road noise standpoint the difference is negligible. The only real differences I notice are probably from build date differences. For example, the seats feel softer(more comfortable) in the sedan than the wagons(too hard). Also, the sedan has the short throw and in my opinion worth the money over stock. I notice all the little differences like yellow rear turn signal lights on the wagon and not on the sedan. Stuff like that. Drivewise they are really similiar though.

For the record, the weight distribution of a non-limited LGT wagon with the 5EAT and 1/4 tank of gas is about 56.5/43.5 F/R. I didn't bother driving the sedan because I wanted the wagon to begin with.

Archived